PDA

View Full Version : Water Monitor ( Juvie )

Stu Bowie
03-06-2016, 01:41 PM
During a weekend break at the end of January, I managed to get away to our Kruger National Park. I may not be posting one of the big five, but I managed to capture this fellow walking across the lawn of our lodge. I was lying on the grass, and he was only a couple of meters away from me, thus the shallow DOF. He just kept coming closer and closer until I thought I better move on. I could have pushed the ISO very high to stop down, but I dont believe at the close distance I would have achieved more DOF.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/1600
F/4.0
ISO 800

Exp comp +0.33
Hand held lying down.

haseeb badar
03-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi Stu -- Aha ! this is lovely , I liked the details that you managed to bring out and the subject being well separated from the BKG stands out . I would have preferred a bit more space in the front but not a deal breaker .

Lovely image and TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
03-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Good evening Stu,

And thank you for sharing an image of a species we do not see here often!

Love the framing and composition, great techs, superb POV. Colours spot-on, having seen and photographed the Water Monitor a few times I can safely say the blue of the tongue and forehead of the subject is not a colour cast:)

Stunning BG my friend, nice sharpness and clarity, in fact I can even spot that little tick right above the foot ( have you noticed it, LOL?)

So happy to see you contribute here so often, you make me feel guilty for not popping in to the Avian Forum lately. And did I tell you I have a number of images of a Flamingo at the Quibitje Quap water hole in the KTP? A rare sighting I plan to share soon:)

Warmest regards and I thank you for sharing this lovely image, appreciate it:5

Rachel Hollander
03-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Hi Stu - I am jealous of this image. Steve will tell you that I wanted to find one to photograph on our trip. We succeeded but at a great distance so nothing worth posting. Great timing to have the tongue fully extended. The low pov is excellent and I like the sense of movement from the leg. Nice one!

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Hi Stu, I like the low angle, the tongue out and inclusion of the forelimb in the frame. Nice accurate colours and comp.

Mike Poole
03-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Gtr at to see a different subject, love the low angle and the sticking out tongue. I agree about not stopping down, it wouldn't have made much difference here.

Mike

Steve Kaluski
03-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Hi Stu, great to see a different species posted. Like the low POV and the outstretched tongue as he surveys the environment. My only wish would have been if the front leg was forward and more visible.

Good choice on format too.

TFS
Steve

Basil Dardagan
03-12-2016, 10:51 PM
As said it is a cracking image with awesome colours that 'just works'