PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker

arash_hazeghi
03-05-2016, 03:34 PM
This is another shot of the male Woodpecker from Victoria, BC. Shot this from Tim Zurowski's blind, it's a good example of what a simple backyard setup can do when done by someone as skilled in the art as Tim.

1DX 400 DO II + 1.4X III. IOS 1600. 1/200sec at f/5.6. Hand Held from blind. Processed with DPP 4.3.

Randy Stout
03-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Arash:

Classic wood pecker shot, like the angled trunk, the nice display of tail prop and grip with talons, soft light and background.

I might be tempted to push the black point just a bit to give it a bit more snap, but very close as is. Curious about your thoughts on that.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
03-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Arash:

Classic wood pecker shot, like the angled trunk, the nice display of tail prop and grip with talons, soft light and background.

I might be tempted to push the black point just a bit to give it a bit more snap, but very close as is. Curious about your thoughts on that.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy,

You are probably right. I'd be happy if you adjusted the blacks on your end and post. I just got a new monitor and just calibrated it but I am not 100% sure it's perfectly adjusted yet. This will help me adjust the black levels

best

Arash

John Robinson
03-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Nice set up shot. ( As noted)
To be absolutely pedantic I would suggest removing the small white bits of food attraction to the perch.
JR

arash_hazeghi
03-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks John, that's good advice. I'll clean up the perch.

Allen Sparks
03-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Hi Arash,
Beautiful woody image with great details. Love the perch too - agree about cleaning up the food bits.
Allen

Randy Stout
03-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Arash:

I tinkered a bit with the black point. On my calibrated NEC it started to block up the blacks at -3, so you are very close. The areas that blocked were in the cracks of the tree bark and on the tail just under the primaries. It actually 'looked' better as I pushed it further, about -25 seemed about right. Your call of course.

The repost is at -25 on the black slider.

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
03-06-2016, 07:01 AM
A fine shot it looks like you got him before he got his bill messed up with food. Al colours look very pleasing but I am left wondering if the grey feathers should be a little darker - I haven't seen one of these birds in the flesh so maybe my curiosity is misplaced.
(I have now just noticed a previous reference.)

Arthur Morris
03-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Lovely. I am envious. Yes to cleaning up the suet )?) by its foot. a

dankearl
03-06-2016, 10:44 AM
The repost looks better to my eye...

Jonathan Ashton
03-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Artie - fine speckles of suet or fat or ground peanuts over much of the bark look at the top right of the log then gradually look dispersed over the log, I had a similar situation on my woodpecker shot, (it's not always easy to notice at the time but it is in retrospect)

Eric Dienesch
03-06-2016, 05:25 PM
impressive picture, the repost looks for me also a little bit better, more complete, if this is the right word.

Shot with very nice light, clearbg and sharp where it has to be:
you have catched the bird also in a very good attitude, with the beak direct on the wood

annmpacheco
03-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Gorgeous again Arash, i like the repost with more black.

arash_hazeghi
03-06-2016, 09:06 PM
A fine shot it looks like you got him before he got his bill messed up with food. Al colours look very pleasing but I am left wondering if the grey feathers should be a little darker - I haven't seen one of these birds in the flesh so maybe my curiosity is misplaced.
(I have now just noticed a previous reference.)

Thanks Jon, the feathers aren't quite black I'd say about two shades brighter than pure black.

best

arash_hazeghi
03-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone here is a repost with deeper blacks plus some perch clean up. One of the challenges with this setup is to take the frame in the first few seconds after the bird lands on the tree before he messes up his beak with food

arash_hazeghi
03-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Arash:

I tinkered a bit with the black point. On my calibrated NEC it started to block up the blacks at -3, so you are very close. The areas that blocked were in the cracks of the tree bark and on the tail just under the primaries. It actually 'looked' better as I pushed it further, about -25 seemed about right. Your call of course.

The repost is at -25 on the black slider.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I got tje NEC MultiSync PA322, it's a 4K 32" monitor with full-array LED backlit. I just calibrated it with NEC Spectra View II sensor but I think because it's a full LED screen it's just tad different compared to CCFL. Thanks for the reference

with 4K resolution the BPN posting size becomes tiny! here is a larger file if you want to inspect the details

https://ari1982.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Avian/Woodpeckers/Pileated-Woodpecker/i-C8SszGr/O