PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Yawning red fox

D. Robert Franz
03-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Captured this red fox on my recent winter Yellowstone tour. This fox was using a crevasse on a rock outcrop to rest during the day. Shot in portrait orientation to emphasize the rock cliff. Read more about my recent tour on my blog http://www.franzfoto.com/winter/winter-yellowstone-2016-trip-report/

Shown full frame
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Date/Time: 2016:02:12 16:19:25
Shutter speed: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: High-speed continuous shooting
ISO: 640
Lens: EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM

Rachel Hollander
03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Hi Dale - Glad you had a good tour this year. I've seen a couple of other images of this particular fox. I like the portrait orientation. The yawn adds interest. I also like the way the orange lichens complement the fox's color. Looking forward to seeing more from the trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
03-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Neatly tucked into the crevase, and well timed to capture the yawn. I agree, the vertical comp shows the surrounding enviroment nicely.

Andre Pretorius
03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Hi Dale

Love the moment captured!
Agree with vertical crop.
Just wondering about the SS, what support were you using?

Gabriela Plesea
03-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Hello Dale,

Wonderful capture and I like the way your subject is nested among the colourful rocks. Nice pose with those feet stretched out and the big yawn. I imagine a kind of gentle weariness descended upon the fox and she decided to remove herself from the world, if only temporarily. Delightful image and quite candid, the rocky outrcop a panorama of colour. I cannot help but to constantly scroll up to the image as I am typing - a pleasure to view, thank you Dale:cheers:

Warmest regards,

steve torna
03-03-2016, 02:40 PM
I really appreciate the image as well; not only the subject and it's beautiful dentition but the complimentary and colorful lichen and rocks make an interesting composition. There is much to look at and study throughout the image. TFS steve

Basil Dardagan
03-03-2016, 03:14 PM
So much going on in this image - shapes, lines , colours and a beautiful creature to top it off. Could stare at this for ages

Morkel Erasmus
03-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Very nice! Love how the rocks and lichen complements the fox, and there's a lot of visual interest.
I do wonder if it was possible to do this with a horizontal perspective, but presume there was not "enough cliff" for that on either side?

D. Robert Franz
03-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks Morkel.. I have every possible comp you could think of.. Had about 3 hours with the fox. Go to my blog post I show and one of my participants show a horizontal crop of the image...

haseeb badar
03-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Hi Dale -- Love to see your posts , this one is a superb frame , i liked the vertical frame with a lovely yawning pose . The settings gives the sense of environment in which they survive . Loved it !

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
03-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi Dale, interesting and unusual location for this little guy, as the ones across the pond tend to locate urban spaces, or the countryside, rarely do we have outcrops like this unless perhaps in a quarry. The yawn adds a nice touch. I wondered about a little less space above, but I see your note about having all aspects of crops covered.

TFS
Steve