PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Rivals

Gabriela Plesea
03-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a lioness for you tonight. Love her powerful body and muscle tone, but especially that intense look in her eyes. This protective mother runs past my window without giving me a glance, she only has eyes for her enemies...

The image was captured in the Kalahari one morning just before 7 am. The subject was chasing a number of adult hyenas who had taken over the nearby water hole (Kanaguass). Accompanied by another female and her two cubs, the lioness she made sure the little ones were safely tucked away before she started "removing" the unwanted characters from the scene. It was fun and so interesting watching the hyenas run, we managed a few frames as they got away, feet off the ground and looking back to check how far the lioness was.

Andre promised me to share a couple of frames taken that morning in the Story Sequences Forum - it was so wonderful to see, and be able to capture interaction between those awesome creatures - truly a memorable morning we shall not forget!

Nikon D4
Nikon 500 F4
ISO 1250
F6.3
1/2500s

This is FF. I did not expect the lioness to come so close to the vehicle and therefore had no time to explore various options, it all happened so fast. In retrospective I could have used the Nikon 300 F2.8, it was lying next to me and attached to the D3S. Or I could have increased DOF. Processed in LR and PSCC, the histogram showed a lot of yellows but such was the light that time of the day, removed as much as I could but tried not to lose that lovely glow on the subject's face. Let me have your thoughts and suggestions on processing, if you do not mind. Err... one more thing: please, do not ask me to remove the rock:bg3:

Thank you so much for viewing, I appreciate it.

Jonathan Ashton
03-02-2016, 04:22 PM
First glance - good, second glance very good, then I was hooked and I have been looking at this for a while now. There is a very intent look about her and those furrows on the forehead - wow who would have thought wrinkles could be attractive? I love the pose and the setting, the colours look good to me and in particular those eyes. A really pleasing shot, I think it would make a nice print too.

D. Robert Franz
03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Very intense look from the lioness. Strong sidelight but the sun is low enough that you still have good detail in the shadowed areas.. Nicely composed. A winner here!

Rachel Hollander
03-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Hi Gabriela - You already know my thoughts on this one. Love the walking pose and the light works well. Just wish for a little more room behind but know it is ff. Overall, this works.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
03-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Just a nice look of movement Gabriela with the dust rising from the paws ,that intense stare really adds to the fine looking image ,all works very well for me.That rock could be a talking point.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
03-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Hi Gaby, thats one powerful lioness, and love the intense stare. Ive witnessed Lion/Hyens confrontation, and it certainly is action all the way. Well composed in camera to have the lioness walking into space, especially being FF. Well captured.

Gabriela Plesea
03-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Thank you so much dear friends, appreciate your kind comments:5

Have a lovely evening,

steve torna
03-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Hi Gabriela, You captured the raw strength and intensity of this cat; the image emphasizes that although magnificent and beautiful, she is a deadly and formidable predator. I love it. steve

Basil Dardagan
03-03-2016, 03:11 PM
All been said..............lovely image with the intense facial expression the highlight for me

Gabriela Plesea
03-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much Steve and Basil:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
03-04-2016, 02:10 PM
A stunning frame from Kannaguass! Love the light on her eyes and the intense look in them.I'm fine with framing, you did very well to compose this level, fitting her in at FF :5I don't mind the rock either, all I see is the lion! How about a touch more midtone contrast or LCE on the lioness alone?

haseeb badar
03-05-2016, 04:25 AM
Hi Gabriela -- This is top class , everything works here , the pose, the look details , sharpness , loved it all the way . It appears like playing football are rather footrock !

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
03-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Indeed Haseeb:) I was worried she would step on that rock, she only had eyes for the hyenas at the time.

Andre busy right now working on a number of images from this instance for Story Sequences Forum, hopefully to be posted tomorrow - do have a look if you have time, it's funny:)

Kind regards,