PDA

View Full Version : Barn owl fly past

dennis greenwood
03-01-2016, 07:06 AM
My three month spell watching the Barn owls is now coming to a end ,I have spent nearly every spare hour I have had in between work and weekends to try for the shot I am looking for ,they are a joy to watch but it takes a while to gather the info of the birds flight paths /routine etc as it does change with condition's and how successful they are at first light ,I initially set up with my little pop up hide looking for head on shots but struggled with the 400mm 5.6 as I was forever missing focus by hitting stray grass and when you only get one chance every couple of hours it gets frustrating, so a change of plan, I did have permission to go on the land so I looked for a manmade hide already in the field not far from were the bird was quartering what I found was a large (smelly) large bail of hay that had a small dip in front of it,after that a case of sit and wait ,this shot was around 1 hour after sunrise with light cloud allowing for a diffused sort of light ,its not perfect I know but this shot was one of my favorites of hundreds on the day ,mainly because I got a long hard look rather than the quick look and turn,if you have ever watched and photographed Barn owls you can appreciate the look ...Canon 1d mkiv 400mm 5.6 at 5.6 iso 800 1/1000 sec +1/3ev handheld 160049

Arthur Morris
03-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Your hard work paid off. I love the backlight, the stare, and the great look at the far underwing. The near wing position: not so good... It looks as if there is a large dust bunny about an inch (on the screen) below the bird's feet.

All in all, well done. a

Stu Bowie
03-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi Dennis, good eye contact, and love the light through the far wing. Comp wise, Moving him more to the right in the frame would have worked better, as now, he's about to fly out the frame.:w3

John Robinson
03-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Another well executed BO Den. I have to agree with Stu though- more canvas left would do it.
Still a great image though
John

Jonathan Ashton
03-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Dennis I know how frustrating and rewarding barn owl photography is, you have my sympathy and moreover my admiration for sticking to it. I like your shot very much, exposure and eye direction/contact are good. I have no doubt you will be there again may/June when they feed their chicks. Good luck I know your time and effort will be continually rewarded.

dennis greenwood
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jonathon , two reasons I wont be there May/June is the Little owl takes up all my time plus its difficult setting up for shots that are not in the owls flight path to the nest which any cause of disturbance is not recommended as the bird is (as I know you are aware) legal protected
Dennis I know how frustrating and rewarding barn owl photography is, you have my sympathy and moreover my admiration for sticking to it. I like your shot very much, exposure and eye direction/contact are good. I have no doubt you will be there again may/June when they feed their chicks. Good luck I know your time and effort will be continually rewarded.

christopher galeski
03-02-2016, 02:29 AM
nice capture Dennis,agree on more canvas on the left.good eye contact.TFS.

Satish Ranadive
03-04-2016, 06:04 AM
Magnificent flight shot.

Regards,
Satish.