PDA

View Full Version : Daybreak at the Torrance Barrens

Andrew McLachlan
02-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Last Friday I finally had some spare time to spend a day out photographing the winter landscape. My first stop was a location near Gravenhurst, Ontario known as the Torrance Barrens / Dark Sky Reserve, which is one of the best places for viewing the night sky in Ontario. The morning was a balmy -15 degrees Celsius with a light wind blowing and there was not a cloud in sight. Due to the lack of clouds I framed these straggly spruce trees against the western sky and waited for the rising sun to cast the pinkish glow in the west.

Having forgot my cable release at home, I framed the scene and then selected the Live View feature (as this will lock the mirror up) and then activated the 2 second timer.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 22mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1.6 seconds

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
02-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Hi Andrew

I like the pastels and the starkness...Feels very cold. While i know it it may not be level, i think I would tend to level what is the apparent horizon and also pull a bit of the distorsion out.

DON

Adhika Lie
03-01-2016, 11:01 AM
It's strange for me because I live in a city called Torrance in California. Very nice pastel tone on this one, Andrew! It certainly feels like winter. I like the use of perspective in composition here. From left to right the trees got closer to you and increasingly bigger in size until that one right in front of you (second from the right) and then it got farther and smaller again. Very nice. I agree with Don about leveling the horizon a little bit. I think that would make the picture really really nice! :D

Morkel Erasmus
03-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Very nice, feels cold and good pastel tones.
I would have liked even more of a lead-in snowy foreground here, Andrew?

Jonathan Ashton
03-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Love the composition and colours, the image quality looks outstanding, such fine details in the trees.

Diane Miller
03-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Beautiful subtle colors! I love the detail in the trees -- that must be a great lens, used well!!

I always see the perspective distortion in wide angle shots when aimed a little bit up or down. Would be interesting to do an Edit > Transform > Distort and bring in the bottom corners a little to make the trees more vertical. I doubt it would compromise sharpness as only a little is needed. But that's a small point for a lovely image!

Definitely a different Torrance!!

dankearl
03-06-2016, 11:07 AM
I would crank up the vibrance and add more color to this. Nice stark composition.