PDA

View Full Version : The Excavator

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Hello Friends,

I promised I would show you different species from the Kalahari, so here is a Meerkat (Suricata suricatta). A small carnivore and member of the Mongoose family, this is a predator in its own right even though it is often preyed on by jackals and eagles. Their life span is said to be about twelve years and they make sure to keep safe from predators by taking turns to stand guard while other members of the family ( also called a "mob" or a "gang") forage for scorpions, grubs, beetles or small reptiles.

So here's the story from my diary: Our last day in the Kalahari and we are driving at a slow pace towards the park gates...The time is 11:18 am and the sun is harsh, outside temperature 41'C. But the Meerkat mob does not care about the sun, their dark eye markings are said to act as sunglasses and they are so well adapted to their environment. We notice a few individuals scattered on both sides of the road and quickly grab our cameras to capture a few images...

...I find Meerkats hard to follow... They move constantly, digging fast and then running, changing direction all the time. Difficult to keep focus " on the eye" and also to decide which individual is more interesting to capture, obviously my indecision comes at a high price as I sometimes forget to change settings...

DOF just too short, in fact I had to delete a number of images. Anyway, here is one frame, techs as follows:
Nikon D4
Nikon 500mm F4
ISO 1000
F6.3
1/2000s

No support for the camera, shot in hand (I did make sure I had enough SS). Most of the action happened on the LHS of the road, could not turn around because of the trailer behind the vehicle.

PS. Notice the nostrils, almost entirely covered up with caked sand:bg3: These guys sneeze a lot:)

Wishing you all a great week ahead, thank you so much for viewing - much appreciated:)

Rachel Hollander
02-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi Gabriela - I like the comp and image design here very much. You handled the harsh light well. Once again, there's no embedded color profile. I think you can give it a little boost and also reduce the blues slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Thank you so much Rachel,

I seem to forget to add the colour profile lately - too long break from PP work?

Have a look at this RP please, would you be so kind to let me what you think, colour wise too?

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
02-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Still no assigned profile but when I take it into PS and assign a working profile the changes show. Subtle but worthwhile.

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Thank you so much Rachel, will sort this out asap. Really appreciate your help:cheers:

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Changed a couple of things, here's another image with colour profile assigned, I think I might have figured out the problem, kindly let me know Rachel:)

Many thanks,

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 03:42 PM
I think I figured it out Rachel, so this is my last RP for the evening! :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
02-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Yup, last one has an embedded profile. Seems it is sorted.

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2016, 04:07 PM
And a very big THANK YOU my friend, for your patience and help:5

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Hi Gabriela, I really like the cute little fellow here sticking his head out of his "bunker". The final RP looks perfect, nice details and colors. I like the blocked nostrils and dark eyes. You could clone out the large pebble near the lower border in the middle but no major issue. TFS this unique image.

haseeb badar
02-29-2016, 02:45 AM
Hi Gabriela -- Looks wonderful ! RP is certainly better . What I liked here is the pop out look and the environment giving the sense of its habitat and whereabouts . All in all a lovely image with a good IQ .

TFS!

keith mitchell
02-29-2016, 04:29 AM
Hi Gabriela! like everything about this right down to the muck on it's nose, the last post looks perfect to me.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
02-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Hello friends! Glad you noticed this little fella's nostrils are stuffed with caked sand:) He sneezed a great deal! I did consider cloning out some of the bigger stones but then decided against it, since this chap dug them out of the ground himself and I liked the way they were scattered all over the place, thought they were part of the "story" somehow. I do agree, for aesthetic reasons one should remove a few, so good call on this issue Sanjeev!

I so appreciate your feedback, thank you Sanjeev, Haseeb and Keith:)

Keith, you will have to wait a while for that rodent I promised you, it's there, I must just get to it!

So let us see what species I can entertain you with next... don't go away please, I'll be back:w3

Mike Poole
02-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Superb natural looking shot. You had the light and the situation and made the best of them both.

Mike

Gabriela Plesea
03-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Mike, so super sweet of you! Glad you like this little chap, I promise to share more of him in the future:tinysmile_shy_t:

Kind regards,