PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Drake

Carolyn Arnesen
02-28-2016, 03:16 AM
The Long-tailed ducks were in close to shore on Saturday, and I spent some time photographing them from the Jetty. I would've preferred being at a lower angle, but that wasn't possible.

I lowered highlights in ACR, and then removed distracting elements in the water, sharpened the darker area on the side of the face and neck and removed some highlights around the eye in PS. HH and cropped for comp.

7D, EF300mm f/4 + 1.4 x, Manual exp., f6/3, 1/2500, ISO 400, evaluative metering

C & C welcome, and thanks for looking.

Diane Miller
02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Very nice -- a topside view can be good and shows a very interesting reflection here. Lovely water droplets on the back, very good sharpness and detail.

Nothing here to criticize, but possibly a slight curve would give a bit of extra punch, or maybe a curve or a bit of Clarity in the raw stage. Some of the whites on the side have gone a bit gray, but maybe that's the light or the coloration -- I don't know the bird. I'd always prefer a slight bit of gray to washed-out whites, though. It can be a bit of a game to find the right balance, and sometimes needs a little extra work in PS.

Glennie Passier
02-28-2016, 05:06 PM
What a beautiful duck Carolyn. I love the backswept tail! I might consider a bit more room in front, if you have it. But no nits from me, which is unusual! A lovely duck, a lovely capture.

Thank you for sharing!

Carolyn Arnesen
02-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Thanks, Diane. I increased the clarity/vibrance slightly while still trying to hold down the whites. Don't know if there's enough of a difference.

Carolyn Arnesen
02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
What a beautiful duck Carolyn. I love the backswept tail! I might consider a bit more room in front, if you have it. But no nits from me, which is unusual! A lovely duck, a lovely capture.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks, Glennie. I see what you mean about a bit more room, especially in the RP.

Glennie Passier
02-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Carolyn, I think the repost is better. I can see his teeth now! I think his rump end shows up better. I can see it would be difficult to keep the whites.

Warren Spreng
03-04-2016, 06:36 PM
What a cool bird! I like the RP better as well, the eye seems sharper, and I really like the details in the water as well.