PDA

View Full Version : Rare Cross Fox

steve torna
02-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Two weeks ago while in the Tetons, I was fortunate to photograph a rare cross fox. Although my encounter was brief, I appreciate the opportunity to have observed such a beautiful animal. I realize that it's just a fox standing in the snow and I clipped the tail, but I want to share it because it is the first cross fox that I have ever seen or photographed. Over the next few days, I plan to post a few additional images of this canid. Canon 1D IV, 100-400mm IS Mark II @ 170mm, ISO 800, 1/320 second @ f/5, PP in LR, NO color adjustments (this is exactly what he looks like), 30% crop.

A cross fox is the same species as a red fox (Vulpes vulpes) in a dark or melanistic phase.

Rachel Hollander
02-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi Steve - I saw one of these in Yellowstone last year but at a much further distance. Nice low pov and eye contact. I would crop or clone to clean the left edge whichever is your preference. Too bad about the clipped tail. Looks like he had a nice winter coat. There is a lot of blue and cyan coming through in the image. I understand you said this is what he looks like but you can see it in the snow too. If it were mine I would drop the blues and cyans and also back off on the contrast a little. Maybe something like this (done very quickly). Finally, there are some halos along the legs.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
02-27-2016, 02:50 AM
Hi Steve -- Completely agree with Rachel here , The RP is much better . The low angle and the eye contact makes this a good image could have been better though had it not been for the clipped tail , but those things happen .

TFS !

steve torna
02-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Not a keeper but a good exercise. Thanks for the suggestions, I made some changes to the RAW file; brought the blues down and slightly down on the contrast and it looks better.

Jonathan Ashton
02-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Never seen one before, I was going to ask what is a cross fox -(I stupidly thought somehow a cross between fox and coyote!) Perhaps it is the colour or the closeness but this fox looks bigger than some of the other images posted. (??)
The clipped tail could be very easily remedied and a little more canvas added.

steve torna
02-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks Jonathan, I only use LR; I don't have the knowledge or experience to add canvas and remedy the tail. Perhaps I can get some help with that because I would like to salvage the image. In LR the RAW file is very sharp. The Cross fox is a red fox (Vulpes vulpes) in a dark or melanistic phase. The name "cross" was evidently used to describe the color pattern of a dark band along the back that intersected a dark band running perpendicular across the shoulders (creating the appearance of a cross). This animal does not display those markings.

keith mitchell
02-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Whatever it is Steve it's a fine looking animal with a great coat and brush, really like the snowy and detailed face.

Keith.

Basil Dardagan
02-27-2016, 03:30 PM
What a beautiful animal !!! Have never seen anything like it before ! Love it !!!!

Loi Nguyen
02-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Beautiful animal for sure. I like the eye contact and the sharpness of the face. too bad about the clipped tail. There was a lot of blue in the snow. I suspect you under-exposed the image. Rachel's RP took care of the colors. Loi

Morkel Erasmus
03-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Hi Steve. Interesting info on this variation of fox.
I like what Rachel did in the repost. No need to keep deleting your own reposts etc - show them so we can keep giving constructive critique.
I do wish you'd included the full tail, could have reduced empty space on the LHS of the frame as viewed.