PDA

View Full Version : The Faithful One

Adhika Lie
02-26-2016, 02:54 AM
It was a stormy day and this is the great Old Faithful at Yellowstone bathing in the evening light. This is a vertical panoramic crop for the original image. Now I think about that visit, it was almost like going to a magic show. Shot at 200mm, f/16, 1/200.

Diane Miller
02-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Very cool! I like your take on telephoto compositions and processing!! Nice colors!

Glennie Passier
02-28-2016, 02:59 AM
Nice.. and another unique image from you Adhika. My screen was almost not big enough to fit this crop in! There is the tiniest hint of green (and magenta) in the bottom water that I might consider darkening, or adding a tiny bit more.

Thank you for sharing this lovely scene!

Adhika Lie
02-28-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks so much Diane & Glennie!

My screen was almost not big enough to fit this crop in!

This is not exactly the easiest aspect ratio to present on conventional screen. It works quite well on an iPhone 6 screen, though! I still think the best way to present a photo is to get it printed. Haha.

There is the tiniest hint of green (and magenta) in the bottom water that I might consider darkening, or adding a tiny bit more.

Thanks for noting the magenta on the right hand side. It's not from the processing as far as I can tell, but it's distracting. I will take that out. :D

Glennie Passier
02-29-2016, 03:56 AM
Adhika, I certainly don't mind the slight touch of magenta. In fact I would consider adding more.

Andrew McLachlan
02-29-2016, 08:49 PM
I like the telephoto perspective here...it is not one we see too often...I wonder if you added a touch of Nik Tonal Contrast or Detail Extractor to the scene if the mist / spray would reveal some interesting details to take it up a notch...looking forward to seeing more :)

Don Railton
02-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi Adhika

I like this very much. the frozen drops of water in the vertical format work well for me..

DON

Adhika Lie
03-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Don, thank you so much for the kind words!

Glennie, now I can't unsee the magenta. LOL. I need to take it out. Haha.

it is not one we see too often...I wonder if you added a touch of Nik Tonal Contrast or Detail Extractor to the scene if the mist / spray would reveal some interesting details to take it up a notch

Andrew, thank you so much for this recommendation. I don't have Nik Collection; not until last night. Diane has been suggesting it to me for the longest time, but I have been hesitating. I do not regret it spending on the collection! Thank you for giving me that nudge I needed to get it!

Here is one processed with the Detail Extractor.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000jenwUPYz9N8/s/800/I0000jenwUPYz9N8.jpg (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/image/I0000jenwUPYz9N8)

Morkel Erasmus
03-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Cool perspective and drama here!
I keep wondering what a high contrast monochrome will look like - I'll perhaps play around a bit (you could too)...

Jonathan Ashton
03-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Very nice indeed, I am guessing the Nik filter is a clarity setting? - Some kind of High Pass filter based on luminosity selection?
Why did you use a 200mm - I like the shot very much I am asking because I am going to visit Yellowstone in September.

Adhika Lie
03-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Morkel, thanks so much! Good suggestion with the B&W. I did play around with the idea of pure B&W but since the picture itself is pretty much monochromatic, I am a little bit partial to this rendition.

Very nice indeed, I am guessing the Nik filter is a clarity setting? - Some kind of High Pass filter based on luminosity selection?
Why did you use a 200mm - I like the shot very much I am asking because I am going to visit Yellowstone in September.

Jonathan, thanks! This is my first time using the Nik filter as well but it looks like a very educated applications of clarity setting. Re: the 200mm, it's more a personal preference. I really like a minimalist approach to my landscape shot. I thought the 200mm does this really well. I asked myself what is Yellowstone to me and I realized that it's water, smoke, and the theatre.

When are you going in September? Do visit Grand Teton NP as well. Last week of September is usually the peak for the Fall colors.

Diane Miller
03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
You'll love the Nik stuff! Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast are basically tone mapping. Easy to overdo, but there are controls, and the underlying image sometimes needs to go back to the raw stage for the best result (for lower contrast).

Jonathan, definitely do Grand Teton as well if any chance. Forget the western drive (Teton Park Rd) -- do the eastern one, Hwy 191, at sunrise. Jenny Lake (on the west road) is OK but the best shots are the barns on Mormon Row, Schwabacher Landing and Oxbow Bend. Great bison on the roads going a little bit east off 191 but keep your distance. Moose may be found near the river but they are more dangerous than a grizzly bear -- stupid and aggressive.