PDA

View Full Version : a bit of distortion

Dennis Bishop
02-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Sometimes I correct distortion; sometimes I exaggerate it. This time, I left it the way it was. These two poles stand about twelve feet apart, I'd guess, and both are vertical. They're at the north end of the pier in Lakeside, Ohio. The closer pole has a number of functions. There is a light at the top that is probably just decorative. The two red lights likely are there to warn boaters on Lake Erie that they're close to the end of the pier. I masked away the spotlight that illuminates the flags at night. And low on the pole is a life preserver just in case. The community was founded in 1873. Early in its history, steamboats docked at the pier so visitors could disembark. Today, the pier is used to some extent for fishing. Mostly, though, it's a magical place to feel the breeze, listen to the waves, and watch the sun rise and set.

iPhone 5s, iPro super wide angle auxiliary lens, PureShot camera app, ISO 1000, three-shot HDR at 2 EV intervals

processing highlights

Photomorphis sky/cloud texture (The actual sky was blah, and I couldn't find one of my own that worked.)
Topaz Simplify -- saved watercolor preset
Alien Skin Snap Art -- saved watercolor wash preset, Hard Light
Fractalius -- three saved black & white presets (one of which might have accidentally been based on the wrong layer); Multiply, Divide, Multiply
Simplify and Snap Art -- saved black line presets on white, Multiply
Red Giant Software Knoll Light Factory -- light effect from opening in sky, Luminosity
Nik Color Efex -- Tonal Contrast
Alien Skin Exposure -- modified Cinema early Technicolor preset (I'm fast becoming a real fan of Exposure.)
Knoll Light Factory -- light effect for the red lights

Cheryl Slechta
02-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Hi, Dennis, I like the perspective and especially like the blues and reds in the background repeating the colors of the poles. Nice work:S3:

Hazel Grant
02-26-2016, 03:52 PM
New perspectives are always interesting. Glad you explained the history of the pole. Even without the explanation, the two "meeting" as they do give structure to the image. And the blast of light surrounding the flag says "great day to be an American" :)

Judy Howle
02-26-2016, 10:14 PM
It certainly is an eye-catching work of art Dennis. The perspective is quite unusual. I really like the colors and the lights.

Anita Bower
02-27-2016, 11:52 AM
I like the distortion--very effective. The light effects of the red lights are excellent. The sky texture works really well with the scene. Thanks for leading me to Photomorphis--new to me. I also like the light effects from the opening in the sky. I love the strong lines of the poles. Excellent, as always!

Nancy Bell
02-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Love the perspective looking up the poles that appear to be bending and converging! For me I would be curious to see a simpler version without all the lines in the sky outlining clouds. I think the strong graphic lines of the poles and the lights and flags could stand pretty much on their own.

gary ellwein
03-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Dennis, I love the simplicity of the image. Incorporating the distortion was most effective. Creating the background out of nothing is most impressive.