PDA

View Full Version : Wattled Jacana

Bill Dix
02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Here's one of many previously unposted images from a trip to the Peruvian Amazon last June, taken from a small skiff on a narrow blackwater tributary. I love the big feet that allow this guy to walk on the mass of floating vegetation.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 2500, 1/1600s @ f/7.1 manual.

John Robinson
02-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Nice one Bill. Love the raised foot. )(as you mention enabling the walking on the veg( costs about £1 a piece at the local pet shop !!)
Maybe you could tease a little more detail out of the blacks ?? No big deal
Good stuff
John

Glennie Passier
02-25-2016, 07:00 PM
What a lovely bird. I have never seen one before, so perhaps I shouldn't comment on the colour, but there is an odd green on the feather by his tail and on top of his legs, that may be reflecting off the vegetation. Agree with John about the blacks, but there is enough detail in the feather for me. Love the raised foot.

Thank you for sharing!

Bill Dix
02-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks John and Glennie. There is some detail in the blacks; perhaps not enough, but I'm concerned that bringing out more detail would also bring out more noise.

Glennie, that "odd green" is actually part of the bird's plumage. What is odd is that it so closely matches the color of the background vegetation.

Glennie Passier
02-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks Bill. Extraordinarily beautiful!

Satish Ranadive
02-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Excellent image of beautiful Jacana in habitat. I like the red wattle, yellows on beak and raised foot.

Regards,
Satish.

steve torna
02-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Hey Bill, TFS I just did some research on this species and it's family members; new for me. Amazing floatation pontoons on this guy. Great exposure and detail considering the dynamic range of this scene.

Geoffrey Montagu
02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Excellent one, Bill. Nice soft light, detail and floating habitat. You did well to get as much detail as you did in the blacks. Like the raised foot.

Geoffrey

Stu Bowie
02-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Hi Bill, a Jacana I havent seen before, but still with the large feet that our Jacana's have. Love the low perspective, pose with the raised foot, and along with the colours. I do like the hint of droplets on the foliage, but would maybe try a version with toning down the lighter foliage.

David Salem
02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Great look at this wild looking bird. Nice exposure and details and that huge foot is awesome. Well done