PDA

View Full Version : Conifer in 'Bloom'

Nonda Surratt
06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
This is really the only reason I have camera gear, to make images of hubby's beloved conifers:D
So how am I doing? I also do this for a rare plant nursery, I make the images and hubby gets in-kind payment, cool trees...

Thanks for your time and critique.

MIII, +300f.8L @f4, ISO 400, 1/400

Fabs Forns
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Lovely plant with pretty color and clean BG, I'd probably go for a smaller aperture to try and get more definition in the distant blooms, unless this particular look is what ou were going for.
You are doing just fine :)

Nonda Surratt
06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
I agree this could have used a bit more DOF. Been an issue for me trying to isolate and get a nice BG, since most are tucked in with other conifers or plants. I'll continue to work in it! Thanks!

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Nice to see you here Nonda.

A beautiful looking image. More DOF as mentioned would have been the ticket here, but if that was going to get more of the BG in focus, perhaps a shallow DOF might have been better. IMO, if more DOF still yielded a OOF BG, seeing more of the plant in focus would be the best option however. Hope to see another version soon.

Alfred Forns
06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Nonda Love the feel to the image First thing that pop to mind was the extra dof Fully agree. Was also thinking if you could find one with less cones? Doing away with the bottom come would be perfect !!! Excellent image !!!

Nonda Surratt
06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks folks! Will work on it.

Gus Cobos
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Great capture and composition Nonda,
Agree about the depth of field. Very pretty colors...:cool:

Mike Moats
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey Nonda, this is a really nice comp, love the color and textures in the cones. Agree on the DOF. Remember this, "PIXELS ARE FREE" so until you gain more expereince with your DOF with macro, go ahead and bracket different f/stops and than decide on the computer which worked the best on blurring the BG and allowed the most DOF on the subject. You can also see your DOF by using the your DOF preview button, but if its an image that I want to really turn out well, I will shoot at mutiple f/stops to make sure I get the right one. Keep em coming.

Stephen Stephen
06-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Lovely composition and colours Nonda. The DOF has already been mentioned. DOF is really a challeng fro me as I move into Macros but Mike's advice about "Pixels are Free" is great advice that I'll need to follow as well.

Nonda Surratt
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Neat idea Mike, very neat! My usual set up was the 20-30D and the 200f2.8 or the 35F 1.4 which I'm pretty comfortable with DOF, the M111+300 is somewhat different. Then again, as I tell folks I don't do macros, always amazed at the work of folks that do, I do close-ups:)

Ed Vatza
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Nonda,

Nice image. I basically agree with most of what has been said so I won't rehash those comments. Personally I like the "sixth" cone at the bottom. It sort of anchors the images. I don't think it would look as strong with fewer cones.

John Cooper
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
That is one beautiful conifer Nonda and you have composed it superbly!! The soft grey/green BG is ideal for the soft pink of the conifer. very well done - love it!! Mike makes a good point about experimenting with various aperature settings!!

Bruce Gove
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Noda,

Wow! What a great image!! Didn't know you photographed Flora. Agree with the already discussed DOF issues, although I still like the imgage as presented - and I just bet the subject is still available! I love the color of the cones. I worked as an Agricultural Biologist for about 5 years for Riverside County, CA in the 70's, and I still have an interest in things botanical. It looks like maybe a Spruce?? Congrats on a fine image, Nonda.

Cheers, :)

Bruce

Nonda Surratt
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks folks, I quite love photographing flora Bruce, your correct tis a spruce, Picea abies 'Acrocona'. The spring flush is over for most of the conifers so a re-do of this one will have to wait till next year.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Nonda,
Possible improvements already mentioned..........you are doing well seeing the macro subject.............now just fill in the technique. Agree with Mike Moats.............bracket and decide later!