PDA

View Full Version : Red Fox beach shot

Kenton Gomez
02-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Shot last week on NJ coast. Ridiculously fast shutter speed as was testing out 5Diii and 100-400mm ii combo wide open.

Canon 5Diii
Canon 100-400mm 5.6 ii

170mm
f 4.5
ISO 640
1/4000

Rachel Hollander
02-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi Kenton - Welcome to BPN and the Wildlife Forum! Nice low pov and I like the beach environment as its habitat. Please tell us a little about your post processing including whether you have cropped, cloned, program used, etc. As posted the fox looks a little too orange and the sand a bit red for the Jersey shore. I would also prefer a bit more room at the bottom of the frame. I hope to see more wildlife images from you.

The best way to get the most out of BPN is to become a part of the community so that we can all learn from each other. The fastest way to do that is to comment on other people's threads. We recommend commenting on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post your own wildlife image. Your comments don't have to be technical. Just tell us what you like and/or don't like about an image.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
02-23-2016, 03:58 AM
I like the nice simple composition Kenton, unable to comment much on colour at the moment but do think it does look a little soft around the face. Not an easy subject to photograph so very well done getting this fine shot.
Welcome to BNP I find it great.

Keith.

haseeb badar
02-23-2016, 05:53 AM
Hi Kenton -- Welcome to BPN !

I agree with the above comments , though i have not seen this subject in the wild or in person but still i find the colours not similar to the ones i have seen posted on this forum and also a round or two of sharpening will the image . Nice low angle though . A fine start , hope to see more from you .

TFS !

Mike Poole
02-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Hi Kenton,

Lovely first image, hope to see more for you. Great low viewpoint, must be great to have one so co-operative.

Did a repost of your original with just a little clockwise rotation and another round of sharpening. What do you think?

Mike

Kenton Gomez
02-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Thanks all, I think the sharpness issue is due to sizing, it is far more sharp than it looks here. I think I need to tone down the orange tones and regarding the crop, I would have loved to leave more of the foreground but I had to rotate the image limiting my options. Was lying awkwardly when I took it. Anyway, thanks for the advice, very helpful.

Morkel Erasmus
02-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Hi Kenton!
Another warm welcome from me...
I echo that it looks quite soft, but many people don't know that it's quite necessary to sharpen your images after downsizing. As it is I would sharpen the fox a tad more, specifically the face.
Mike's repost looks good, albeit a tad darker than the original post.

I concur with Rachel and you will get loads from this forum if you participate and engage, no matter how small you feel your contributions are.

Looking forward to more of your images! :5

Gabriela Plesea
02-23-2016, 12:44 PM
A warm welcome to BPN Wildlife, Kenton!

Lovely capture of this Red Fox and so interesting to see this species in a different kind of environment.

I really like the setting and especially the soft BG, would have loved a tad more FG if possible. I would consider taking a tad off the top if this was mine. Well exposed, do try some sharpening on the face of the subject and let us see a repost!

What a lovely animal, I love the pose here, great POV, those eyes are so captivating. Cannot wait to see more from you, looks like you are enjoying your 5Diii - hope you have more wonderful opportunities like this :w3

Kind regards,

Mike Poole
02-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Kenton!
Another warm welcome from me...
I echo that it looks quite soft, but many people don't know that it's quite necessary to sharpen your images after downsizing. As it is I would sharpen the fox a tad more, specifically the face.
Mike's repost looks good, albeit a tad darker than the original post.

I concur with Rachel and you will get loads from this forum if you participate and engage, no matter how small you feel your contributions are.

Looking forward to more of your images! :5
Interesting that my rp looks darker, I didn't make any adjustments other than the rotation and sharpness

Marc Mol
02-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Welcome Kenton,:cheers:

a lovely first up posting here, agree on the head being a little soft which appears to be easily rendered in Mike's RP, the low POV and overall comp all add nicely to a very pleasing image.

Agree with Gabriela on taking a slice off the top section.

Cheers
Marc

Basil Dardagan
02-27-2016, 02:45 PM
A wonderful image made even more special by the angle imo. The repost definately improves the image imo