PDA

View Full Version : Relaxed Hare.

keith mitchell
02-22-2016, 04:05 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
iso 2000
1/1250#f4

These Brown Hares are getting more and more difficult to find in my part of Lincolnshire UK,at this time of year you could always see plenty of them chasing around in there mating games, not anymore I'm afraid.

Rachel Hollander
02-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Hi Keith - Too bad about their reduced numbers. The profile works well. He looks hunkered down against the cold or wind. Sharpness and dof look good. Here the lower pov introduced some of the distracting elements so I might consider a bit of a crop from the bottom to lessen them. The only other thing I am not sure about is the color. The hare looks more red than brown but you were there.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
02-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks Rachel, totally agree with you regarding the red, the image looked about right on my screen until I posted it then I can see what you mean ,don't understand why this should be but have had my doubts for some time about this. This repost looks very grey but is nearer the true colour perhaps a little more red but it's difficult knowing where to be. A better calibration might be the answer. Will have a play .

Rachel Hollander
02-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Keith - I think this looks closer to the hares we have here too.

Rachel

Dennis Behn
02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Keith, the first thing I noticed on your OP was the red color, only because I am usually guilty of that myself and I can spot it more readily now. I am not sure of the true color of this specie but I like the RP much better. I had to re-calibrate my monitor because my colors didn't match what I posted either, so you might consider that. I do like the low angle and great sharpness.

Dennis

Andreas Liedmann
02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Hi Keith lovely shot of the " hiding " hare , with a great low POV and the right amount of DOF .
Overall i think you messed up the colors in both versions ... sorry to say Keith . :e3

The RP does look almost like a duotone to me ,really lifeless in tone and color . I know it sounds hard , i am just trying to be honest .

For me it is just a " failure " in the process , your steps are too big regarding color changes , just try smaller ones .

You are also having noise appearing in the foreground .. which surprises me with the D4 at 2000 iso .

Keith i think the image is well worth a second or third try to get it right .

If you like you can post the original out of cam ....... and we can see how it does look.

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
02-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Good image but colours are still awry, look forward to another version!

keith mitchell
02-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks to everyone I did not have this problem until I changed my monitor, the bit I don't understand is the Hare looks right on my monitor and the red does not show until I post. Andreas would it be ok to e mail it to you?

Thanks Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
02-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Keith yes for sure you can shoot me the file ... hope you still have my email .
What have you done with your screen ???
A new one ?

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi Keith, love the outdoor scene here, colours come what may, nicely composed VWD! :cheers:

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
02-23-2016, 03:52 AM
Thanks Steve. Perhaps have a chat sometime about this colour thing.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
02-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Hi Keith thank you for the "small file " , tried to give it direction where it " could/should " be from my POV .
I did some WB adj. some local contrast , some local color adj.

WDYT ? for comparison the file as you send me .

I ask again about your monitor thing .... do you have a new one ? or do you have changed anything in the settings ( calibration ) .

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
02-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Hi Keith -- I liked the overall scene , the color thing i cant much contribute because i am not at all familiar with this specie , wish it had the color of your OP looks stunning in their . Apart from the colours their are few distracting elements which could either be cropped like the FG or clone out the white spot in front of its mouth.
TFS !

keith mitchell
02-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Andreas the top one looks about just the way I see them,the colour is right and the texture of the fur is excellent, thanks for that,."I ask again about your monitor thing .... do you have a new one ? or do you have changed anything in the settings ( calibration ) ." I have a new one that was calibrated for me but I have never been happy with the reds.

Thanks Haseeb,did look at that white spot in front of it's mouth but could not see how you could do this without having problems with it's whiskers.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
02-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Hello Keith!

Lovely little Hare and I must admit I have no clue about colours, my gut feeling says those rich browns in Andreas's RP must be close to the "real thing".

Well captured, I like the framing, nice POV, great techs too! Just curious, did you apply some NR to the BG?

Keith, I have to tell you a little story which might amuse you: sometime in the beginning of our Kalahari trip we were on our way back to our camp (Rooiputs is the name) at about 7 pm. The light was fading, we were driving slowly looking around for animal tracks (spoor) when I suddenly spotted a little rabbit lying on the sand between tufts of grass. I asked Andre to stop the vehicle , the light was not great but I could at least take a short video of this tiny fellow. I then switched on the camera trying to zoom in...Suddenly my subject started to "lift" himself off the ground (when we found him he was in the same position as your subject here) and he raised himself until he probably reached maximum height, he was practically on his toes, if I may say so. It was so sweet, so funny, and quite delightful! We realised he was trying to make himself look big, although the look in his eyes was one of fear...Andre decided to move on so we did not stress the little fella. I ended up with a very short videoclip which we so treasure now...

Have a great evening, Keith:S3:

Kind regards,

keith mitchell
02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Thank you Gabriela was pleased with my capture of the Hare perhaps not the easiest animal to photograph. When it came to PP ,( did you apply some NR to the BG):2eyes2: think it must have been a serious senior moment.

Keith.

Stuart Philpott
02-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Hi Keith,wow these colours have me searching myself,(especially with an uncalibrated monitor) of all the images here the lower of Andreas's posts is closest for me,,but I'm unsure as I feel my ability to view might not be what others can see. That said I seem to view colour well to my eyes(eyes that have had to make colour from little for half a century) I can see that slight pink tinge to your first image that folks have picked up on and also the second being way to "grey ".(Keith I might have said ,might not, but thanks for your comment on my hare pics,I simply don't know how to reply there so wacked that in no one will notice:5 )

But these guys in life always have almost an orange appearance to me,(it isn't orange,but there is both a touch of red and yellow in there)ahh mate putting colour into words is so hard,but yellow is figuring and both of us, both guys that paint and know the animal pictured, are seeing the same colours .

It's so sad that you seem to be loosing them ,they seem to be doing better around here,i'm trying with so little time to catch up with the mad march antics,I believe it has started here. I also thought the same was happening in the mids Keith ,but last few years I'm sure more are about we got so see some next to the house first time in 20plus years in 2015,very very special for me.

Buddy I think your picture is excellent, I'd love it to me mine were you close mate? Well done my friend seriously so

take care

Stu

Geoffrey Montagu
02-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Keith I can imagine the frustration with the color situation, but it will get resolved hopefully soon. Now to this wonderful hare. Super capture this is with fine detail, great look of, I'll stay motionless and you just move on. Compact lowered head and ears. Well done Keith.

Geoffrey

Marc Mol
02-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Hi Keith

Nice low POV with good overall detail, some good tips on the contrast & colour adj from Andreas, all easily fixable.:w3

TFS

keith mitchell
02-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks a lot Stuart, Marc, Geoffrey have often walked up to these when they are tucked up in there form if you don't give them full eye contact they will sometimes let you walk right past them .

Keith.