PDA

View Full Version : Double stilts

Adhika Lie
02-21-2016, 08:45 PM
One of the species that fascinates me is the black neck stilt. I don't know what draws me in, but I thought they are fascinating little chaps. This is not a conventional crop, but I thought it fits the bird.

300mm, ISO 720, f/5.6, 1/4000
San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, Irvine, CA

Randy Stout
02-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Adhika:

Stilts are such elegant birds, always very photogenic. Your shooting angle was good to generate a good reflection without much distortion. Very nice colors and subtle details on the back. The basic crop works well, perhaps a sliver more on the left.

Things to consider: Most bird images are more compelling when the head is angled towards the viewer, although interestingly here, the reflection gives that impression a bit. The vegetation in the water does tend to distort the reflection some. There is a subtle sharpening halo around the top of the head and the tail.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Randy

Loi Nguyen
02-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Good exposure and the reflection works well. My thoughts were stated by Randy already. nothing more to add. Loi

Adhika Lie
02-22-2016, 12:09 AM
Randy & Loi, thanks so much for the suggestions. I think the vegetation gives some context. But I can see where you are coming from and I think it would make such a wonderful image, too.

arash_hazeghi
02-22-2016, 01:22 AM
a classic view but the main issue is the head and body angled away from us.

TFS

Adhika Lie
02-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Thanks, Arash! Can you elaborate more about the head and body angle? I can see that the eye is not quite looking at us, but I am not very clear about the body angle.

arash_hazeghi
02-22-2016, 02:14 AM
Hi Adhika, as Randy mentioned, normally, you don't want to photograph a bird with his head and body angled away from the viewer, aka a "butt shot" :c3:. Furthermore you photographed him from above steeply looking down which isn't ideal. The reflection is nice but IMO doesn't make this image a keeper

This example demonstrates the ideal angle, of course this isn't a strict rule and there are plenty of exceptional situations. But, for such common bird in a common pose sticking to the orthodox methods results in a much more attractive image

this educational article by Artie will help you get a better idea about the ideal angle

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/69803-Head-Angle-Fine-Points

Adhika Lie
02-22-2016, 02:28 AM
Arash, thanks for the explanations. Good point about vantage point. It's on the high side and I can see how it affects the eye angling towards the water than towards us.

I still can't see how the body is angled away from us in the sense that the head is farther away from the sensor plane compared to the tail. Feel free to move this thread to ETL if this discussion is no longer appropriate for this subforum. Thanks so much, I am learning a lot from this discussion!

Adhika Lie
02-22-2016, 02:29 AM
Oh, about the ISO.. The EXIF does show ISO 720. It was on Auto ISO though if that makes any sense.

arash_hazeghi
02-22-2016, 02:47 AM
the body is clearly angled away from us, the tail is closer than the head. You want to the head to be closer than the tail. if you draw an arrow from the tail pointing to the head you want that arrow to be towards the viewer as opposed to away from the viewer.

ISO 720 makes sense if it was Auto ISO on a Nikon body still a bit strange since it's not on 1/3 stop mark.

best

Stu Bowie
02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi Adhika, good points above from the guys. The light has brought out a hint of iridescence on the body which shows up well enough. Good job on the whites too. Apart from the foliage in the water, you still managed a good reflection.