PDA

View Full Version : Tree Fern

Leroy Laverman
06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm trying to expand past my usual bird photos and try something new. This is a snapshot of one of the tree ferns in my backyard. I thought maybe it would work as a BW image. BW conversion in Lightroom, then quadtoned in photoshop for a warmer gray. Any feedback is most appreciated. Thanks

Technical bits:
Nikon D80
24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 (shot at 52mm)
125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 - matrix metering, no EV comp.

Fabs Forns
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
It works very nicely, Leroy. I'd be tempted to crop as square to get rid of the OOF parts, but that is a very personal preference. Let see what the others think :)

Leroy Laverman
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Fabs. I'd considered that as well. Maybe I'll get a ladder next time and redo this with the image plane more perpendicular to the frond.

Alfred Forns
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
This works well Leroy Would go back with a tripod and maximize the dof I like the idea of some cropping form the sides for getting rid of the oof and anchoring the image !!! I like it a lot !!!

Stephen Stephen
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Leroy the Forns have offerd some good comments. I like the details here but I'm not sure about the B&W application for this particular image.

Mike Moats
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Leroy, this is a fabulas subject and you did a nice job. I agree with the need for more DOF, go back and shoot it stopped down all the way, I shoot most of my images at f/32 and have no problem with quailty from stopping down, and I have my students in my workshops do the same and their images come out great. I've heard it all about the lens works best in the mid range f/stops, but I havn't had a problem shooting stopped down all the way, and if it looks a tad soft thats what the sharpining tool is for.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Leroy,
Agree with Mike............I love f32!............but you don't have to go all the way there.............but the ladder idea may work.