PDA

View Full Version : Theme Out on a Limb

Bill Dix
02-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Black and White Warbler, from Cape May last Spring. Light was dim, so there may be a bit of motion blur. Since then I've been pushing the ISO a little more in cases like this.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/640s @ f/7.1 manual, fill @ -2.0.

Norm Dulak
02-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Very nice Bill. The exposure, bkg, perch and pose are all fine. But I find the relatively massive trunk at the left to be too dominant. I would consider cropping it out.

Randy Stout
02-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Bill:

As much as I love the texture and curve of the perch, I do find overall that the trunk/limb somewhat overpowers the bird as Norm mentioned. The shapes and length of the perch to the right does make it a bit of a challenge to crop it differently on that side to balance out any crop from the left, but I would suggest you play around with it a bit.

When you get your D500, you will be able to push up that ISO a bit more!

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
02-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys. Norm, I thought the branch needed the trunk as an anchor, but I do wish the trunk was in focus. I will play with it, as Randy suggests. As I try a browser crop here, I do see some value in eliminating the trunk.

As you've probably discovered by now, I occasionally like to break the rules, such as "perch to big for the bird". I rather liked this one, and thought the small bird on big stick somehow fit in with the "small in frame" theme.

Randy, funny you should mention the D500. The folks in the camera shop yesterday told me the same thing.

Randy Stout
02-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Bill:

Nothing wrong with trying different things. Rules are made to be broken in photography, but usually there is a valid reason for most of them, its just that not every photo fits the standard rule set!

Cheers

Randy

adrian dancy
02-21-2016, 09:29 PM
What a cracking shot Bill. I would crop out the trunk and reduce the brightness of the eye highlight.

Bill Dix
02-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. You're right. It is probably better without the trunk.

Satish Ranadive
02-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Excellent image, Bill Sir.
Superb details and great composition.

Regards,
Satish.