PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Bubbles.

David Cowling
02-15-2016, 10:20 AM
The saying is that you should always photograph wildlife carrying out some sort of activity. Flies don't do much except fly and sit. I found this one blowing a bubble. Its actually part of the digestive process.

Taken a while back and have lost the exif data. Probably taken with a Panasonic GH 2 and 100mm macro lens.

John Robinson
02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Love it !
Great fore ground and backdrop too. And as you say- doing something !!
Cheers
John

Diane Miller
02-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Holy cow! How do you guys find the stuff you do!?

I'd consider cropping some from the bottom and left to minimize the white OOF area. Not much to do about the focus but is it possible to extract a little tonal detail from it? Maybe process a second raw just for the brightest tones and composite as a separate layer and mask. But if they just go gray, the white is better.

Glennie Passier
02-16-2016, 02:29 AM
Wow! That's pretty cool! I didn't know flies blew bubbles to digest food. (I hope they don't spit it out!) The fly and his surroundings are quite lovely.

Ray Walker
02-16-2016, 11:57 PM
The blown f/g is a bit distracting, but the fly looks good.

Jonathan Ashton
02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
I lkke the image very much the composition is great and as you say he is doing something - well done.

Steve Maxson
02-24-2016, 01:03 PM
You captured some very cool behavior (I don't think I've ever seen this) and I like the composition. I would just wish that the left foreground wasn't quite so bright as it tends to draw my eye. You might try selectively toning down that area - though if it just turns gray, that wouldn't be an improvement. Well done!