PDA

View Full Version : Selling prints

Jerry van Dijk
02-15-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi everyone, I'm about to sell my first prints (yey!), but this raises a few questions for me.
Do you sign your prints or include your digital logo or signature on the print?
Are there any general guidelines for pricing (on top of the material costs that is)?
Hope you can help and thanks in advance!

Doug West
02-15-2016, 05:45 AM
Depends on the situation for me.

If I'm just selling a print, I use a digital signature with my web site imprinted on the back.
If you do use a digital signature, make sure you leave it in a spot where it doesn't get
cropped off. There's been times where all of the previews show that my signature will be
fine, only to get it back and one letter was still chopped off.

If I'm selling a matted print, I'll sign the mat. I'll also enclose a business card.

As far as price...my simple advice is to price what you think you're worth. Besides material,
you also have to consider things like postage and your time into creating the image and then
mark it up so you'll actually make money.

Doug

Daniel Cadieux
02-15-2016, 12:24 PM
I always ask the client if they want the print signed or not....so far it's been 100% yes to sign.

Pricing is a very individual thing. You can always compare other artists pricing and be competitive with those, but some photographers command a much higher price than others, and others much lower.

Marina Scarr
02-16-2016, 05:01 AM
I always personally sign prints. I sell 13x19 for between $50 and $65. My advice is whatever feels right for you.