PDA

View Full Version : Marco Sunset

Oscar Zangroniz
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Shot was taken yesterday at about 8pm, unfortunately could not get any kind of sunsets today due to terrible weather conditions. Your comments and critiques are most welcome.

Nikon D300
Lens: 12 to 24mm
Focal length: 15mm
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 250

Fabs Forns
06-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Lovely clouds and golden water. The horizon is totally slanted. I cropped after straightening it to keep the horizon off center.

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Oscar,

I think that the drama in this image is of the couple in the water and the sunset. Turning the camera left and framing a bit tighter for the sun and couple may have been a nice image too.

The dark sand and dark buildings kind of weigh the image down due to a lack visual interest. The couple and sun, IMO are the center of interest in this image and with the nice sun flare in the image needed to be accentuated more.

Grady Weed
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Fabs crop and level did wonders fo rthe image. And Robert's suggestion will make it even better. I agree with the interest shifting to the couple and the sunset.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Oscar,
sorry it took a while.............my cable modem was down to a power failure. while i like Fabs crop to improve comp...........I must agree with Robert..........our eye is drawn away from the couple towards the buildings. This may have worked had they been looking towards them a bit better..........but as presented they are looking away and then become disassociated. In landscapes you have to be careful and avoid the temptation to include all that we see...our eyes see a much more drastic amount of subtle tones and colors thanthe camera can .............our peripheral vision is also quite something............unfortunately this doesn't translate well when we try this with the camera. robert's suggestion of concentrating on the couple was correct. Put yourself back into the situation..........and imagine the shot with the 2 people......sun and dramatic sky..........much stronger compositionally..........and would also invoke a very strong emotion. If you have the opportunity.........try several different versions of the scene..........you can sort them out when you get home. Wider is not always better in landscapes. Can you tell I've been off the computer for a while???

Maxis Gamez
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Oscar,

Fab did an excellent job with the horizon. Another vote for Robert's critique. You are heading in the right direction. Keep posting!

Gus Cobos
06-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi Oscar,
I like the concept, I too agree with the good comments. I would try cropping to the right of the frame and taking the buildings out to see how it looks...:eek::D SUGGESTION...:cool: