PDA

View Full Version : A walk into the Andean past!

shane shacaluga
02-14-2016, 05:14 AM
I went trekking on my own into the mountains behind Cuzco and in one of the valleys met this old lady walking her lamb. Her short stature and colourful clothing made her an immediate subject for a few photos

I let her walk quite far to try and get a nice perspective

D800e

300f4 + 1.7x TC
1/1000
f6.7
ISO 1000

Practically full frame. Cropped a sliver off top and right for composition
Processed in Capture NXD before moving to PS to clone out some horse dung on the path

Thanks for viewing. I am looking at printing this in large as a souvenir of my travels so any comments with that in mind would be of benefit

Regards

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Hi Shane, my compositional preference would be for a little separation between the woman and the horses and also for the woman to be positioned a little more to the right...perhaps you have some alternate frames that have some separation?

Diane Miller
02-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Well done. An interesting subject, with the woman in sharp focus and the rest soft. The focus makes her stand out well from the horses, so I don't mind them touching. I never know when separation or overlap of elements is best, although just barely touching is almost never good.

I would have a look at a little more off the top and right, but that would be a minor and optional point.

Glennie Passier
02-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Lovely and unusual. Colours are nice. I don't mind the lady and the closeness of the horse. This is quite an amazing image when you start looking at it again..and again. There is a story here. The horses are saddled and no one riding. I cna't quite make out if another person is leading the buckskin. Was the bay horse somehow tethered to the other or just mooching along contentedly. What will happen to the lamb? Her walking shoes... Everything is just so wonderful.

I would consider a very little CW rotation.

TFS!

Don Railton
02-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Hi Shane

I agree with Andrews Compositional points.. I too would have gone for a little seperation, however the image is still very nice just as it is, and will be a wonderful reminder of your travel. I question the need to remove the horse dung, but more importantly, if you decide it has to go then the cloning needs to be perfect. I have just recently remove an image from my wall that had less than perfect cloning that only i can see (unless i pointed it out), but it bugged me every day.. I see a few disconunities in the blur to the left of the twigs by the womans feet.. if this is the cloned out dung artifacts, I would work a little more to remove them..

Apart from that.. well done..

DON

shane shacaluga
02-15-2016, 05:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments guys

The horses were unmanned and not tied to each other either/ They were sort of leading the old lady. Not sure where they were going as there wasnt a house in site.

This is the only image I have of the lady. I waited until she turned her back to me and after this the horses were hiding behind her as they disappeared over than small hill

Don the dung is exactly where you mention so will look at the cloning and decide whether or not to let this in for the print

Thanks a bunch for everyones advice. I will consider the points carefully

All the best

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 06:54 PM
NIce soft colors and a well seem scene that tells a story of the how the people of this region live and travel.

David Cowling
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
A good story telling image with so many possible endings. Was the sheep a pet or was it dinner? The horses obviously knew where they were going. A very interesting image which deserves more than just a glance.

Randy Stout
03-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Shane:

Some great input from the folks, attractive image for sure. A quick step to your left would have given the perfect separation of lady from horses, but works very well as is.

I do think the image needs to be rotated a bit clockwise. The brown horse is leaning left, and even allowing for the sloping road, shouldn't be. His legs are all in line, and he would literally fall over.

Cheers

Randy

shane shacaluga
03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments!

Will make the adjustments and see what it looks like!

Appreciate your inputs