PDA

View Full Version : Long Legged Fly ( Austrosciapus connexus)

Ray Walker
02-13-2016, 08:53 PM
This is another pic taken at night( while they sleep on a leaf) with a torch, as they are so quick during the day a pic would be nearly impossible.
450D, 105 macro, ex tubes, diffused flash set on manual ( half power), LED torch for light, manual mode, f/10, s/s1/200.iso 400.
All critique welcome..:S3:.

shane shacaluga
02-14-2016, 05:44 AM
Hi Ray,

Nice focus on the eye and good work in catching one of these on a leaf

On many occasions the strong light bouncing off the leaf or the colour of the torch used can affect the colours

I hope you dont mind that I have tried to tame the greens and yellows a bit to bring out a more natural look

I also brightened the shadow in the bottom part of the eye a bit

Hope you like it

Ray Walker
02-14-2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks Shane. No way do I mind , its great that you have taken the time to help. My P/S skills are very limited.
Thanks again.

Cheers Ray.

Diane Miller
02-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Well capture, with very pleasing framing of the subject. Shane tamed the yellows nicely. They can get out of hand easily. An option is to lower the white balance a bit in the raw conversion.

Ray Walker
02-16-2016, 11:59 PM
Thanks Diane..I only shoot in jpeg as my computer ( ubuntu) can't handle raw..

Gerhard Weldhagen
02-23-2016, 06:59 AM
Nice work Ray. Nice depth of field and details on the subject. The original picture is closer to the real colours of this fly.

Steve Maxson
02-25-2016, 03:29 PM
A beautiful fly! I like what Shane did in his repost - but if they really are that brightly colored as Gerhard notes, then the best of both worlds might be to have your original colorful fly set against Shane's background. :S3: Of course, getting there could be the issue - it would help to be working with RAW files and you might need some semi-advanced Photoshop skills or a familiarity with something like NIK's Photoshop plugin software.