PDA

View Full Version : Wavescape

Diane Miller
02-13-2016, 12:32 PM
I am SOOO jealous of Don Lacy's sublime seascapes. My best (well, easiest) option out here on the left coast is to go to the opposite. We can get some major winter waves from weather well out in the Pacific. Yesterday the Mavericks surfing competition was held -- they watch for big wave conditions and give three days notice. That location is about 70 miles south of here, but they were predicting 50-foot waves and that means some good action up here. Waves around here are not the long curls that surfers love, but better for photographers. It was almost 70 degrees and no wind, with thin high clouds. But I managed to cope... :w3

7D2, 100-400 II at 277mm, ISO 400, f/8, 1/1600 sec. Manual exposure let me expose to the right without getting significant blinkies. Basic and minor adjustments in LR and into PS for removing a gull and cleaning up the top edge. Also did some Detail Extractor -- I can't resist digging out detail in light and dark tones.

Adhika Lie
02-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Gorgeous, Diane. I love the details here. I am tempted to crop the top just a little bit to focus more on just this particular crest but that will be nitpicking.

As an aside, I read this news (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/12147600/UK-weather-Britain-breathes-sigh-of-relief-as-Storm-Imogen-blows-over.html) a few days ago. I hope it won't come to that for us in the West Coast, but this kind of shots make it totally worth it to push the boundary a little bit. ;)

Diane Miller
02-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks Adhika! I should try to remove the waves washing up on the far shore, and to bring out the rooster tails a little more.

That story is incredibly tragic. We loose several people a year up here to waves. We get sleeper waves when things look calm and once they are in the water they don't stand a chance against the undertow.

Don Railton
02-14-2016, 01:21 AM
Hi Diane

A nice dynamic scene that's well timed, and shows the power of the waves I feel. Love all that spray detail and would not want to loose any of the rooster tails.... The thing that stood out most for me was the colour of the water.. Its green..! Use to seeing blue water..

DON

Glennie Passier
02-14-2016, 04:40 AM
Lovely Diane. I also have the Pacific Ocean waves...on my right. Love the colour and detail. I agree about the distant shore, but not sure how you would go about handling that.

shane shacaluga
02-14-2016, 05:17 AM
You have captured the power of these waves very nicely. Lovely details on both "tubes"

I would also try and remove the top shoreline

TFS

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
That looks like a BIG wave Diane...very impressive...you can feel the power behind the wave...nicely done!

Diane Miller
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone! It is common here when waves are starting to break and you can see light through them, that there is a green color. No idea why or if it occurs other places as well. Sometimes it is more pure than here - I think there was some mud and sand in the water to reduce the purity of the color, as this was very close to the sandy shore. I should tweak it a little -- it doesn't look quite right.

I'll work on that far shore -- I think it should disappear.

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Diane, First thank you for the kind words when ever you are in Florida let me know it would be a pleasure to share my locations with you. I love the sense of power and fury you have capture here my only suggestion would be to crop top of the image eliminating the shoreline

Diane Miller
02-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Thank you, Don! I'd love to take you up on that -- now just need to get there. Our usual spring trip has been shot down with weather the last few years and this year looks the same. I'll keep hoping, though.

William Dickson
02-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Beautiful. Love the colours throughout, along with the curves and flow.

Nice one

Will