PDA

View Full Version : Drinking with the Rhino

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2016, 10:41 AM
A nice opportunity of three Rhino at a waterhole. However, I just wanted to isolate this one, their eyesight might not be great, but their hearing is and I like the way the right ear is angled out, rather than both forward. I think I must have been rather in awe of this based on such a slow SS, but just about got away with it, I think?Certainly if i was shooting now 1/1600 easily.

I think I should have come in a fraction more on the RHS to remove that little V in the crop?

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Rhino drinking at a waterhole
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/11 ISO800
Original format: Portrait, slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

Andreas Liedmann
02-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Hi Steve lovely low POV and head on shot . I think the Rhino is listening to your shutter with one ear and controlling the surroundings with the other one :bg3:
You got away with the slow SS nicely , enough detail and sharpness for me . I might even lower the " white" sharpening fringe in parts , i hope you know what i mean .
I like the overall crop / comp , likewise the overall tones and colors . But i would change or better ask for cropping out the dark triangle on RHS and i would expect slightly darker shadows or 3/4 tones on RHS of the Rhino . does look a bit too light for the given sun angle , just my take .

Still a lovely frame i would like to have in my collection .

TFS Andreas

keith mitchell
02-14-2016, 04:14 AM
Steve did you get your feet wet getting this? The low angle really works for me, difficult for me to comment on colour but it all looks great to me.

Keith.

Rachel Hollander
02-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Hi Steve - Isolating the one worked well and so does the low pov. I think the dof looks good. I agree about the triangle on the right.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
02-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi Steve -- Another image where it clearly shows how important it is to get to the eye level, makes all the difference in this image . I also like the colours and tones and the choice of dof is spot on , Enjoyed viewing this image .

TFS !

Joseph Przybyla
02-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Such a treasure... thank you for sharing, Steve.

Morkel Erasmus
02-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Liking the low angle/POV here Steve. Nice head-on perspective too.
I'd say crop some off the RHS, and I would play with a high contrast B&W here, given the light you had which defines nicely through shadow but looks harsh in colour?

Basil Dardagan
02-17-2016, 01:13 PM
The angle/pov makes this image for me

Gabriela Plesea
02-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Good evening Steve,

Very late here, but I hope you'll forgive me?

Lovely capture, superb POV and great detail. SS low indeed, but obviously you knew what you were doing - great IQ! I agree with your suggested crop eliminating the little "v".

Love the DOF, colours, and tonality, sharpness spot on IMO.

How about a B/W conversion?

A very special sighting - well captured Steve, and so well exposed.

Sadly, I have just learnt that we lost another rhino in one of the nearby reserves last night - the rhino population is in great trouble in SA. I treasure every image, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,