PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Insect Behaviour.

David Cowling
02-11-2016, 04:44 PM
I was taking an evening stroll in my garden last summer when I saw this honey bee resting in the bell of a jersey lily flower. The bee had had a busy day collecting pollen and nectar which it packed on it's back legs. I think that the drop in temperature must have forced it down before it made it back to the nest. What I saw on closer inspection made me dash for a camera and macro lens. The tiny beetle was helping himself to a free meal. It was almost dusk when I took this image, no time to set up a proper flash so used the on board flash. Techs are not very good but I thought that capturing this insect behaviour was more important than image quality.

John Robinson
02-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Great stuff David
I reckon on board flashes are under rated. Its surprising how good the results can be.- especially with a diffuser or reflector.
. Interesting behaviour shot.
John

shane shacaluga
02-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Nice one! Those weevils are quite opportunistic! Had his dinner flown in like a champ haha

Was it eating there and then or pulling off chunks to eat later?

Great work getting the behaviour shot.

TFS

Ray Walker
02-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Well done getting this shot. Just shows how well Mother nature works..much better than humans.:S3:

Cheers Ray

Steve Maxson
02-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Very cool behavioral capture, David! The insect world is endlessly fascinating!

Jonathan Ashton
02-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments David, you have caught a really interesting moment. The way round this is to go out as you did but meantime scream at the kids or your wife to bring the tripod pronto:bg3:

David Cowling
02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Tripod would have been no good in this situation Jonathan. The shutter speed needed because of the low light would have been quite slow and insects move about a bit.

David.

Diane Miller
02-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Wonderful find and great capture with beautiful sharpness where it needs to be. I'd love to see the whole bee -- do you have a version from a little farther back?

If mine (and I wish it was!) I'd remove the OOF white on the right.