PDA

View Full Version : "WINTERS SHROUD"

steve torna
02-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Fresh snow accentuates the irregular landscape that lies beneath along Soda Butte Creek, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Canon 5D III, 17-40mm lens @ 28mm, RRS tripod, cable release, ISO 100, .4 seconds @ f/22, January 29, 2015 @ 4:05 PM. Image size 5759 x 3713.

Don Railton
02-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Nice light Steve... Not much to suggest other than putting a hint of detail back into the trees..

Dont forget to leave a few of your own comments on other images..

Don

Diane Miller
02-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Wow -- lovely and different! Gorgeous detail in the snow! I love the soft gold light on the water. Great DOF through the image. I could wish for a little more room on top so the tops of the trees in the distance weren't ending at the frame edge, but that's a small nit. Well done!

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Hi Steve, I like the way the river leads your eye, but agree with Don about the detail in the trees, the blacks look very choked/clogged and so detail is lost. Love the snow capped holders and that 'dimple' look.

The image reminds me of the river running near our condo in Whistler.

TFS
Steve

steve torna
02-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks very much Don, Diane and Steve, I brought up the shadows and used Nik foliage and the result is amazing; I love it; here is the change. I just wish I had more sky as Diane suggested. steve

Live and Learn!

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Hi Steve, firstly do you see the effect it has had on the trees on the RHS near the top in your RP?

If it was me, I would revisit the original and make changes to the original RAW, or at least make a Virtual copy and work on that. Personally I'm not a lover of NIK, it has some good points, but I just took the OP and simply adjusted the Darks with a Channel Curves adjustment. It has lifted the darks and brought out far more detail in the mountains in the distance, see the OP and compare, there is truck loads to come out, if I can get this from a 256 colours image, think what you can do with the RAW.

Cheers
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Super image, I would definitely like to see a revised raw processed one, this is absolutely gorgeous.

Diane Miller
02-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Yes, Steve nailed it. There are so many Nik things now -- they can be fun but I only use a very few of them for serious work. You can do so much with the tonal range capabilities in raw conversion with LR/ACR. Always best to do as much as you can there.

PS has the power for masking effects and cloning.

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Very nice scene and love Steve's repost best, but agree with Jonathon on a reworked RAW file...I think you could pull more detail out of the shadowed areas, especially the river at the left of the frame where it is rendering quite dark. I would also clone the smidge of ice visible on the left side of the frame in the river. Very nice details in the snow covered boulders.

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi Steve some wonderful advice already given this is a well composed scene and with some more work in post processing could really sing.