PDA

View Full Version : Llyn Padarn

Jonathan Ashton
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Canon 1DX Canon 24-105mm @24mm
Composite ISO 100, 1/100 and 1/400 sec f11

This is a different representation of a similar view posted a few weeks ago, maybe not the same files. I prepared this mono version having merged the two images in HDR projects, then I did a whole bunch of different things- brightness contrast luminosity masks saturation and some dodging and burning to create some illusion of light.
I am anxious to see what you think because I am very much a newcomer to this monochrome treatment, if you don't like it that's just fine I am not sensitive.

Don Railton
02-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Well Jonathon, i like it better than the colour version...!! I think it might needs bit of clockwise rotation (slightly) but apart from that very nice B&W treatment..Well done.

DON

Diane Miller
02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Yes, a little CW and some correction for barrel distortion. (Whether there "was" any or not, that's how it looks, so it always bears correcting to what looks right. Lenses almost always have distortion that we don't notice through the viewfinder.)

This is a great subject for B/W with the dramatic clouds. I think there are some issues with local tonal flatness, probably from both the HDR treatment and luminosity masks. The best natural-looking HDR I have found is in the newer versions of ACR/LR -- it is just amazing.

Adhika Lie
02-11-2016, 01:33 AM
That drama in the sky is awesome! I agree with all the comments by the others plus probably slight contrast/detail at the far mountain in the middle?

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Yep...I like the B&W version better too :) A little distortion correction and rotation and perhaps a touch more structure added to the clouds would be perfect.

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Hi Jonathan, This almost most works for me you just need a bit more tonal separation to give it that depth that a good BW image has. If its any consultation I really struggle getting that separation also I need to find the time to study BW processing in depth.

Jonathan Ashton
02-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Thank you everybody for your comments.