PDA

View Full Version : Stannage edge in Winter.

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Stannage edge sits in the NE corner of the Derbyshire Peak District. By UK standards it was quite chilly, minus 6 degrees centigrade.

Panasonic Lumix LX100.

1/250 @ f 13. ISO 640

Don Railton
02-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Hi David

Its a pity about that road and what looks like a railway track cutting across the view... I think someone sitting on that rock would help this image, not something I would normally suggest however.. like the ice puddle..

DON

David Stephens
02-10-2016, 12:35 PM
The "hand of man" shows itself several times here, so the rail does not bother me. I'd like to see the Shadows brought up just a little and the sky pulled down a little. Is that a triangular pond or a puddle? If a puddle, I'd crop it out, because it's demanding too much attention. I'm torn about the haze on the distant hills, but think the decision to leave it is good, giving more feeling of depth and distance.

Great colors, but I wonder how it looks full size. To allow the most headroom for printing, I would have lowered the ISO and shot at a lower SS. This is fine for internet.

Jonathan Ashton
02-11-2016, 01:32 PM
I quite like the image, is that the cement factory in the distance? The frozen puddle is ok for me. I am not sure how the Panasonic settings compare with a DSLR but I suspect f13 is equivalent to f16-22 do I would imagine you could have used a wider aperture and still retained enough DOF - maybe I am wrong but if right it means you could have dropped the ISO. I am guessing you didn't use a tripod.

David Cowling
02-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Don, David and Jonathan. Many thanks for your comments. A couple of explanations here. First ISO - The ISO was set at 640 the last time I used the camera in a low light situation and I committed the cardinal sin of not checking the setting before I took the image - bad photographer! There is a road but no railway tracks. The triangular ice puddle was included as part of the composition as I wanted to emphasise the coldness of the day. The haze on the distant hills is actually snow. Yes Jonathan. it is the Hope Valley Cement Works.

David

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Hi David, I like the scene, but feel it needs to be photographed under more dramatic lighting such as sunrise, sunset, or storm light.

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:17 PM
HI David, Andrew echoed my thought exactly