PDA

View Full Version : Black Headed Gull Portrait.

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 07:29 AM
This BHG in winter plumage has a faraway look in it's eye. Perhaps he is thinking he should be at sea instead of sitting on a railing beside a fresh water lake.

Canon 7D Mk 2. Canon 100-400 L Mk 2. Canon 1.4x extender Mk 2. Handheld.

1/1000 sec @ f 8. Auto ISO at 800 + 1 EV.

Jonathan Ashton
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
That is very eye catching I love the details especially the eye and around it - love those wispy dark feathers. The exposure and colours are really excellent. You have incentivised me, I must try to get something similar!
The tip of the bill is a little hazy, so I would suggest one of two things - perhaps remnants of a mask or maybe not enough DOF. There appears to be a slight halo there too.

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Hi Jonathan. Thanks for your kind comments. No masks used so must be a DOF issue. I was aware of it but you cant put there what is not there in the first place (In the image I mean). Don't know why there is a halo. With the sort of weather we have been getting this winter I am down to photographing gulls sitting on rails!

David

John Rowell
02-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Nicely done portrait. The eye is sharp and I'm with Jonathan in liking the details and fine feathers around the eye. I like the soft background as well, composed to keep out rails and other man made stuff. If only the head were turned away a bit, the bill would have been sharp to the tip and the eye might be separated from those fine, dark feathers.

Jonathan Ashton
02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Hi Jonathan. Thanks for your kind comments. No masks used so must be a DOF issue. I was aware of it but you cant put there what is not there in the first place (In the image I mean). Don't know why there is a halo. With the sort of weather we have been getting this winter I am down to photographing gulls sitting on rails!

David

Gulls on rails .......and birds on sticks!! Just a hope of some light and big tides coming up, fingers crossed

Ross Taylor
02-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Hi David, love the soft colours and composition. I imagine the halo is due to soft focus related to DOF. Wonderful job on the exposure!
TFS-Ross

Diane Miller
02-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Beautiful portrait, with wonderful detail around the eye! Whites are lovely!

William Dickson
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Lovely feather details David, you can almost feel the softness on the head. Very nice portrait of a very nice bird.

Will

Adhika Lie
02-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Beautiful detail. I agree with William that it is as if I can feel the fluffiness of that head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher galeski
02-09-2016, 02:58 AM
very nice capture David,some nice details,nice light.TFS.

gail bisson
02-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Agree with all of the above.
The feather details are really nice.
A bit more DOF might have gotten the top of the bill in focus or a bit of a head turn but not a big issue for me,
Gail