PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast, La Jolla, California

steve torna
02-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Pacific Coast near La Jolla, California, January 19, 2016.
Canon 5D III, 17-40mm lens @ 17mm, 10 stop neutral density filter, RRS tripod, cable release, ISO 100, 30 seconds @ f/22.

Glennie Passier
02-08-2016, 02:20 AM
Holy Dooley Steve! You're posting some great images. Well seen and extremely well captured. Love the misty rocks in the middle. TFS!

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 06:52 AM
This is a very powerful image with the gap in the rocks leading us right through the picture. The slow shutter speed has resulted in a very pleasing misty atmosphere among the rocks and breaking waves. There seems to be a slight pin cushion effect to the horizon probably caused by the camera being tipped down from the horizontal. TFS

Don Railton
02-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Hi Steve

Nicely composed. I think you could warm it up slightly with the white balance as I think you might be biased towards the blue 10 points or so.. I would also straighted the distorsion to flatten the horizon. I am in two minds about the boats out there, something is saying get rid of them, but they do help with a sense of perspective given the sea and sky almost merge colour wise.. did you do any with quicker shutter??

DON

steve torna
02-09-2016, 07:50 AM
Hi Don, Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I'll have to play with it a little. Maybe I can repost a revised. steve

steve torna
02-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Hey Don, I re-processed the image, eliminated the distortion, cloned out boats, warmed and brought the blues down. Great improvement. Thanks

steve

dankearl
02-09-2016, 01:03 PM
SS is all subjective, but this is way too slow for me, I would prefer water over mist.

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Hi Steve, the repost works best for me. Very nicely composed!

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Nicely seen and captured Steve the repost also works best for me. As soon as I opened the image I was 90% sure it was shot with the 17-40 f/4 I used that lens for years then I bought a full frame camera and replaced it as soon as I could.

steve torna
02-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Hey Don, you mentioned that you replaced the 17-40 as soon as you could. I guess I am not experienced enough to notice a problem with the lens. Please tell me,; what don't you like about the lens and what did you replace it with? I just viewed your website and I think that your landscape images are really beautiful. I especially like your seascapes. In any case please let me know because I am just starting to embrace landscape photography and I don't want to spend the next 10 years with a lens that perhaps may be a weak link in the chain. steve

Don Lacy
02-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Hey Don, you mentioned that you replaced the 17-40 as soon as you could. I guess I am not experienced enough to notice a problem with the lens. Please tell me,; what don't you like about the lens and what did you replace it with? I just viewed your website and I think that your landscape images are really beautiful. I especially like your seascapes. In any case please let me know because I am just starting to embrace landscape photography and I don't want to spend the next 10 years with a lens that perhaps may be a weak link in the chain. steve

Hi Steve, there are two issues with the lens the first is barrel distortion your horizon get a nice bow to them not a major issue with todays software which can correct lenses for distortion and CA but the 17-40 has it worse then other lenses. The other issue and the reason I replaced mine is the corner softness the lens really is a poor performer in the corners and no amount of software can fix that. On my 1DMk III the corners where cropped out of the images so it really was not an issue when I started shooting a full frame digital camera the corner softness really stood out. The deal breaker was a shoot in the Everglades that I ended up deleting the whole card since all the detail in the trees had turn to mush. I replaced it with the 16-35 f/4 IS that lens is stellar for a UWA lens the center resolution is excellent the corners are very good I noticed the difference in the first image I open that was taken with the lens. When I opened this image I noticed the soft corners right away that was the give away to me that it was probably the 17-40.