PDA

View Full Version : Snow Loon

Randy Stout
02-07-2016, 12:51 PM
While reviewing some pictures from last summer, this one jumped out at me, as you can almost imagine him swimming through icy water, dodging icebergs along the way.
The light was very flat that AM and we were away from shore, so no color in the water. Fill flash to give it a bit of pop.

D4 600VR f/4.5 1/500s ISO 1250. Manual exp. Fill flash with SB900 and better Beamer.

Shot is full frame. Selective sharpening. Did use a bit of detail extractor on the eye to give a bit more pop, and also on the water near the bird to give a bit more texture, as it was quite featureless.

I did a B&W version of this, but without the slight pop from the eye, and just a hint of color on the rump, it looked too sterile.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Kaluski
02-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Hi Randy, glad you pulled this one out, a nice change to the previous postings, you have a lovely array of images in all conditions and a great collection.

The BB has just brought a bit more colour out in the head, but also that eye just pops! I also like the fact you have an almost hi key look and feel to the rest, with an almost bleached out environment providing even more prominence to the subject. The splashes/beads of water on the head is the icing for me, another cracking image.
Good call on the PP. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

John Robinson
02-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Another good one in the series Randy. You certainlyb have some stuff on these by now. Like the low stance in the water too. I keep crying out for asa little shadow liftb on the head but maybe just me.
Cheers
John

William Dickson
02-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Lovely cold image, I can, as you suggested, see him swimming through icy waters. Very nice indeed.

Will

Karl Egressy
02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
An other nice image of the series, Randy. It almost look like a B&W image with the exception of the eye.

gail bisson
02-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Great low POV as always! Flash work looks good.
The water droplets and fish in the beak add interest to the image.
From an aesthetic point of view I prefer your other images- just a personal taste thing
Gail

Randy Stout
02-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

Gail - I appreciate your honest comment. I try to have some variety in how I present my loons ;not everyone will appeal equally to all. Which is just fine! But, if all I did was do the same exact look over and over again, even I would get bored of the loons!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Hi Randy, Ive seen most of your Loon images over time, and this must be the first one Ive seen, or you have posted, with a fish in his beak. Great flash work, and love the droplets on the head. At first, I thought it was ice, but your intro states this was in summer. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
02-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Great shot of the loon and I appreciate you are conveying reality but your other shots with the greens and golds and blues just knock me out.

Diane Miller
02-08-2016, 06:37 PM
A very lovely changeup here -- I love the artistic quality! And technically excellent, as always.

Adhika Lie
02-08-2016, 10:11 PM
I really love the panoramic crop on this one. This feels almost B&W, so it really adds to the variety of bird pictures we see most of the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Dix
02-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Almost missed this one. Glad I looked back. Your other loonies, of course, are non pareil. But it's nice to see something different (and we wouldn't want you to get bored). I really like the almost b&w with just a touch of color in the head and eye. And the fish is a nice plus. Thanks for pulling this one out of the files.