PDA

View Full Version : Austfonna

Steve Kaluski
02-07-2016, 12:49 PM
IMHO anyone who visits Svalbard should, if possible and subject to the pack ice, visit this location.

This is shot from the deck of the wheelhouse, sadly I have nothing to provide scale to the scene. I just love the 'graphic lines' look and feel to the glacier, carved by the wind and it's own 'carving'. As we quietly sailed by, you could here the creeks and groans and occasionally see it carve.

Austfonna has a thickness of up to 560 metres (235 meters average thickness), and is 200 km in circumference. The ice dome reaches an elevation of 783 meters above sea level.
Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Austfonna glacier
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/11 ISO800
Original format: Landscape, slight crop for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

Glennie Passier
02-08-2016, 02:22 AM
You are indeed a fortunate traveler Steve...and, of course, a very accomplished photographer. Thank you for sharing an image of a place I will probably never get to see.

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Steve. There is enough interest in this image for it to not need a particular sense of scale. You can feel it's immenseness. Beautifully photographed. TFS.

shane shacaluga
02-08-2016, 09:40 AM
The details on this are very impressive. I like how it sits under the clean sky and the blues showing in the shadows!

TFS

Steve Kaluski
02-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, Peter I'm away, but if I understand what you mean, how about something like this, however I had to go 10x8.

Steve

Don Railton
02-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Hi Steve..

I prefer the OP.. but I do agree that something to scale this impressive chunck of ice against is needed.. for me anyway. Its difficult to tell whether I could jump across the gap in the ice midframe or whether I would have to fly across it.. nicely shot and processed, does convey cold to me, most apprechiated since its 42+C outside at the moment..

DON

dankearl
02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
I would like to see one where the ice fills the frame.

Adhika Lie
02-11-2016, 01:34 AM
I am late to the party. But this is really beautiful except I think I don't care about the sky. Maybe it can be cropped out. What do you think?

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Hi Steve, love all the details in the ice...have you considered cropping out the sky for an alternate comp?

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Steve, love all the details in the ice...have you considered cropping out the sky for an alternate comp?

Hi Andrew, thanks.

I think there are a lot of possibilities with this, however I do think the sky is a required element if not only to 'anchor' things, that's if a sky can do that??? There is a lot going on and to me it needs some solid colour???

Here is another RP based on your suggestion, WDYT?

cheers
Steve

PS Where have all the Frogs gone?? :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Hi Steve, I know what you mean by leaving the sky in to anchor the image, but I really like the skyless version for its abstract qualities too...as an alternate version.

Today it is -30 Celsius...the frogs are a tad chilly :) This year I am going to try doing some night-time video of the frogs.

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks.

Today it is -30 Celsius...the frogs are a tad chilly :) This year I am going to try doing some night-time video of the frogs.

Sounds cool, you should share some stuff, from what I've seen they are great images Andrew.

Will be passing overhead onto the West coast on 16th, will give you & Daniel a wave. :wave:

Don Lacy
02-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Late to the party her Steve but as soon as I open this I wanted the sky cropped in half or completely gone other then that it a wonderful image for of details and subtly color.