PDA

View Full Version : Fox Portrait.

Karl Egressy
02-06-2016, 09:01 AM
When I developed the image, I noticed some weird colors especially on the ear.
I think it was the result of the early evening light or the luck of it.
I used the sponge tool to remove the funny colors at and around the ears.
Otherwise I really like the expression on the face.
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 100-400 L IS Mark II
ISO 1000
1/400 s
f 6.3

Karl Egressy
02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for looking.
Here is the jpeg version extracted from the WAR to show the original colors.

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Hi Karl, personally I think it's one of the most exquisite portraits of a fox posted here within the Wildlife Forum. Similar to the Pine Marten the white environment (snow) really provides a superb backdrop to let both colour and fur just sing out, so well done and big congrats on this one.

I think the DoF looks OK, although may be a hint more DoF would have been better i.e. f/9, however you would have had to crank up the ISO more on the MKIV to retain SS which I think would perhaps not have been ideal, but with the available light, there would have been little noise present, just a thought, no deal breaker. Have you tried Evaluated rather than Partial metering, or do you just prefer to use Partial? I think it was a good call in the crop and orientation, but shooting Portrait would have been better to avoid a large crop, in turn the IQ would have been better and less valuable content thrown away. If you get the shot in the bag that you want and time allows, shoot alternative frames, going tighter, wider, landscape, portrait etc...

Just a thought and again it's all personal taste, but flipping the image (which has no effect on the image what so ever), I feel looks better, but also just blowing in the white colour in the top retains the simplicity of the BKG and reduces any distractions no matter how slight.

Nice work.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
02-06-2016, 02:15 PM
The OP is just fine by me Karl you are really showing us how to take great Fox portraits, this is excellent.
The blue in the j peg post really does stand out.

Keith.

Karl Egressy
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Hi Karl, personally I think it's one of the most exquisite portraits of a fox posted here within the Wildlife Forum. Similar to the Pine Marten the white environment (snow) really provides a superb backdrop to let both colour and fur just sing out, so well done and big congrats on this one.

I think the DoF looks OK, although may be a hint more DoF would have been better i.e. f/9, however you would have had to crank up the ISO more on the MKIV to retain SS which I think would perhaps not have been ideal, but with the available light, there would have been little noise present, just a thought, no deal breaker. Have you tried Evaluated rather than Partial metering, or do you just prefer to use Partial? I think it was a good call in the crop and orientation, but shooting Portrait would have been better to avoid a large crop, in turn the IQ would have been better and less valuable content thrown away. If you get the shot in the bag that you want and time allows, shoot alternative frames, going tighter, wider, landscape, portrait etc...

Just a thought and again it's all personal taste, but flipping the image (which has no effect on the image what so ever), I feel looks better, but also just blowing in the white colour in the top retains the simplicity of the BKG and reduces any distractions no matter how slight.

Nice work.

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve.
Flipping the image is a good idea. As our eyes scan from left to right, it leads you to the facial features in a better way.
Yes I used to shoot with evaluative metering and still do for landscape, but for birds, especially small ones like Warblers, it is better to
use partial.
With my previous copy of 1D Mark IV I was using spot metering with great accuracy.
The current copy is not as accurate with spot, so I switched to partial.
I shoot manual and do the compensation according to the light, the color of the object and the rest.
Ninety five percent of my shot are correctly exposed.

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks Karl, I should try it. :S3:

Joseph Przybyla
02-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Stunning, Karl. Thank you for sharing.

Mike Poole
02-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Lovely work Karl, great details from a very nice specimen. I like the flip a la Steve.

Mike

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-07-2016, 12:45 AM
Exquisite detail and sharpness Karl.The portrait really works well and the PP work has brought out wonderful colours. Well done. TFS.

Andreas Liedmann
02-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Hi Karl this is a very lovely , stunning fox portrait .
Great IQ , DOF , sharpness and lovely tonal range .
Well i am not a friend of this flipping thing ..... but if one likes it ..... i never get the grip of it :wave:
I actually think i like the colors of the unprocessed jpeg more , compared to your version it does look more alive , but i would for sure drop the blue /cyan a fraction but not eliminating all of them .

TFS Andreas

Stuart Philpott
02-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Absolutely stunning Karl i'm unsure of what else I can add...... just beautiful!!

Stu

Rachel Hollander
02-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Hi Karl - Beautiful portrait with lovely detail. The snow on the face really adds. I am another that does not see the purpose of flipping in this day and age or for display on the internet but if you prefer it that's fine. Interesting discussion about the metering mode.

TFS,
Rachel

shane shacaluga
02-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Lovely portrait. I am on the fence about the flipping

Beautiful details and the backdrop makes it really pop nicely

I too use partial metering for perched birds.

haseeb badar
02-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Hi Karl -- this is one brilliant fox portrait , well done and congrats on this one ! Loved the colours of actually both the versions and you done well with the exposure . Lovely details , sharpness , and IQ standsout . Superb . TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
02-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Lovely shot, I occasionally flip images but in this case I think the original looks best. That fur and those whiskers are irresistible, it's worth going to Canada just to see the foxes!

Morkel Erasmus
02-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Another thumbs-up for an exquisite portrait, Karl! :5
Love the snowflakes on its face and the look-up posture.
I could live with a tad more space in front of the face, and I also don't bother with flipping but can see the merit now and again - in this case I am impartial.

steve torna
02-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi Karl, most of the images on the forum are interesting and well executed but there are few that I would consider as art for my home. This is one of the images that I would definitely display in my home.

steve