View Full Version : Kingfisher

William Dickson
02-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/500
ISO 2000

I went to the loch early this morning with my portable hide. Before getting in to the hide I set up a perch, hoping the KF would appear. Whilst photographing courting Goldeneye, I was amazed when the KF perched :S3: Maybe the perch is a wee bit too thick WDYT.

This is the first image I have processed on a new iMac, never used one before, so any comments regarding brightness etc are most welcome.

Will

gail bisson
02-04-2016, 06:17 PM
WOW! What a wonderful image.
The colors, BG and HA and fish (with visible eyes) are great. IQ is excellent and the whites look good.
I agree that the beautiful perch is a bit big for this little one but still a great shot.
All you have to do next time is pick a slightly smaller perch.
Your iMAC processing looks fine on my MAC!
I wouldn't mind a sliver more room on left and bottom. The little tail needs a sliver more breathing room.
Well done Will!

Mike Poole
02-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Really nice Kingy shot Will, I quite like the chunky perch for a change.

Processing wise I think the image looks a little 'thin'. I just made a couple of tweaks with the brightness and a curves adjustment. WDYT?

Mike

Sorry, made a mistake in posting, should be the lower image, can't remove the second.

Jonathan Ashton
02-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Super shot Will, I suppose the perch is perhaps a little heavy but I like the image very much indeed. I think Mike's repost shows improved colours, the original looks slightly bright, I think it's worth going back to the raw. I don't know about Macs I presume the colours should be accurate if new - have you double checked all you colour settings in ACR/DPP/Photoshop/Save for web.

David Cowling
02-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Lovely image Will. The pose is very good, I am OK with the perch and the fish in the beak lifts it up a few notches. The exposure looks spot on to me but agree that the image is a little bright as presented. New equipment always takes a little bit of getting the best from it, bu I am sure you will get it right.

steve torna
02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I appreciate the sharpness, beautiful colors and the fact that it includes prey. I agree that it is a little bright and maybe needs a touch more contrast. When I changed to Retina display the difference in contrast, depth, and shine was remarkable but on regular screens those qualities were less apparent. I do think that images viewed on Retina screens represent the real image for better or worse.

Andreas Liedmann
02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi Will a real stunner your Kingfisher , all does look ok from the pure aesthetic POV regarding crop , HA , perch , the fish in the bill !!!!
Just the colors / brightness and tones do look a bit flat here on my machine and i think Mike has pushed it where it needs to go !!!!! for sure from my subjective view !!

I do not know if you have sorted out your calibration stuff yet ..... but you have not sorted your color profiles yet , the image as posted has got no profile embedded .
Just check your PS settings ( export)

TFS Andreas

William Dickson
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the comments. Mike thanks for taking the time, your image does look a tad dark on my screen, so i think i have solved the brightness problem :S3:

Hi Andreas, thanks for the comments, i have rectified the profile embedded.

Stu Bowie
02-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Hi Will, lovely close up of this fellow, and with a catch too. I feel the colours are spot on, just some added contrast needed in your OP. I also dont mind your perch, as its got character with all the lichen.