PDA

View Full Version : Night Stalker

Dvir Barkay
02-04-2016, 04:27 PM

Long time since I have posted here, been very busy. I was recently in Costa Rica and I finally got a Macro Lens, so I decided to put it to good use with this very obliging Green Eyed Tree Frog (this is totally in the wild, nothing studio about it, though it looks very artificial because of the technique and night). This is pretty much the original image, a slight crop, and just brightened the midtones a tad, otherwise no extra editing to get it like this. This was taken at night with a flashlight lighting the frog. I used a special technique or really idea that I got while in the field to create the shadow around the frog like that. I know it is a tad tight on the left hand side, and in this case it would take about 5 second to add that extra black canvas. But I am trying my outmost to make sure that all my images are totally competition proof so as little cleaning or adding as possible. Hope you guys like this, and I am open to any ideas on how to improve it.

Canon 1Dx, Canon 100/2.8 L IS macro, F/6.3, ISO6400, 1/125s, Costa Rica

Diane Miller
02-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Interesting frog but with that much magnification, more DOF would have been nice. I'd love to see the detail ahead of the eye that I see above it.

Looks like you have a new camera -- congrats!!

Jonathan Ashton
02-05-2016, 07:34 AM
I agree with Diane focus is spot on but a little more DOF would have made all the difference. Just curious how did the colours come out using a flash light - did you have to modify them very much?

Ron Conlon
02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Love the drama. Perhaps a tiny bit more canvas behind.