PDA

View Full Version : Theme White Guy's Out, Go Wait In The Reeds...

Joseph Przybyla
02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/400 F/8 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 180 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition and presentation

Adhika Lie
02-03-2016, 01:38 PM
The spoonbills! Such a pretty bird, until you see their faces. I like the contrasty composition in this photo, rosy plume forming a line at the bottom and the great egret on top at the center of the frame. I notice, however, that the egret is not in focus which kinda detract from that line of thinking. I would also crop the ibis on the left and right and maybe extend the canvas a little bit. I will definitely crop the bottom of the frame as it doesn't contribute anything to the photo.

gail bisson
02-03-2016, 05:20 PM
This image shows the foraging activity of the spoonies very well. And the "banished" egret really adds a fun twist to the image.
I would take a big chunk out of the bottom out and make this a true panorama shot.
The light was not your friend on this day. I would increase the exposure by 1/2 stop and evict the ibis on the right. I like the ibis but not the fact that he is moving in the wrong direction.
Fun image and TFS
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
02-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Adhika and Gail, thank you for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. Here is a repost with the image edited using your suggestions.

Marina Scarr
02-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Gail had the exact same thought that I did, and the RP works much better. I'd probably take a bit more off and go full pano. With so much space on the bottom, even in the RP, you are detracting from your subjects IMHO

Joseph Przybyla
02-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi Marina, thank you for viewing and suggesting an edit. I think this is what you had in mind, I like it better.

gail bisson
02-04-2016, 06:47 PM
3rd try is the charm!!Looks so much better! Well done,
Gail

Adhika Lie
02-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Love this third one a lot. How did you clone out the Ibis, Joe?

Joseph Przybyla
02-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Hi Adhika, regarding cloning the Ibis, the Ibis on the left I made a quick selection of the Spoonbill in Photoshop Elements. Then from the drop down menu I selected to inverse the selection protecting the Spoonbill. After I cloned out the Ibis I deleted the selection and then at the pixel level cleaned up the remnants of the Ibis's dark pixels. The dark parts of the Ibis near the center I cleaned up at the pixel level cloning the dark pixels to blue. The Ibis and reflection on the right I cloned out matching the shimmer of the water.