PDA

View Full Version : Beetle.

David Cowling
02-03-2016, 05:02 AM
I don't know the name of this species which are found in marshy areas in Norfolk, but may well be found elsewhere. They are very small, about 1/2" overall. They look as if they are wearing a full suit of armour. They inhabit very dark places so full flash is the only option hence the reflections even though a well diffused flash was used.

Panasonic DMC GM3. Super Takumar 100mm Macro lens. Diffused Flash. Hand held.

1/160 @ f 16 ISO 160.

shane shacaluga
02-03-2016, 05:27 AM
Nice shiny looking beetle David

Unfortunately its hard to control the flash reflections on insects with shiny exoskeletons

A couple of nits from me is the green BG is very overpowering and the front leg is covering the face and eyes

The focus plane is quite narrow even at f16, maybe standing back a bit more would have helped this one

TFS

John Robinson
02-03-2016, 06:21 AM
David
Is this the old pentax takumar 100mm ? If it is I still have one and was always my favourite for insects etc.,
Know a few beetles but not seen this one. Shot of the back atr all. mean looking critter !
John.

David Cowling
02-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Hi John. Yes it's the Pentax lens. Still have it but am using the Canon 100mm nowadays. This is from a couple of years ago when I was using Micro 4/3 cameras. I mounted it with an adapter. Must try and find out what this beetle is.
David

shane shacaluga
02-03-2016, 06:47 AM
hi David, i may have gone overboard but i desaturated the greens and yellows and increased red slightly

Not sure if this is true to the beetle but it pops out more and isnt overwhelmed by the background

Hope you like it

Jonathan Ashton
02-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi David I find small beetles can sometimes be very obliging so whenever possible I use daylight and a tripod. I too would suggest not going in so close, I think the flash has bounced off the greens and imparted a colour cast to the beetle, the head and eye look yellowish to me. Keep them coming I always enjoy images of beetles. Purely a matter of personal taste but I would suggest a black border may have looked a little more formal/standard in this particular image if you see what I mean.

Diane Miller
02-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Very nice! Good suggestions above. Would be worth stalking these things.

Bob Allen
02-05-2016, 12:17 PM
I like the image, especially the RP with bg greens toned down. Face is obscured because it is preening, making this an action image. It's a species in the family Chrysomelidae (leaf beetle); one can clearly see the 4 tarsi on each leg (tarsal formula 4-4-4). IDK the species, it's out of my home range (SW US).

David Cowling
02-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Thanks to all for your comments. Thanks to Shane for the RP, it helps. Thank you Bob for the ID.

David.