PDA

View Full Version : Theme Shorty in the sun

Mike Poole
02-02-2016, 05:43 PM

I'd been given the heads up at a good location for short eared owls where they were regularly giving close up views. It's a 2 hour drive, so when the forecast was good I made the trip. A couple of other local photographers at the site were all raving about the close action the day before.

However, typically, they decided to spend the day hunting on the far side of the field that couldn't be accessed, and directly against the sun, so the only option was something a little more 'arty'.

Canon 7d2
500mm f4 is
1/1600th f4
ISO 1000

Mike

Jim Crosswell
02-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I like the setting, composition and light coming through the wing. I hope you get them in the on the good side next time. Nice image Mike.

keith mitchell
02-03-2016, 04:03 AM
Hi Mike," all raving about the close action the day before" or" just after you left" been there. Do like what you finished with ,nice golden light giving a good view of it's habitat and the hunting Owl.

Keith.

adrian dancy
02-03-2016, 04:08 AM
A lovely backlit shorty. Superb habitat and colour and the bird looks good to.

christopher galeski
02-03-2016, 04:17 AM
very nice Mike,love the color of the light,nice environment.TFS

Jonathan Ashton
02-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Yes it works for me too Mike I like the shot, I can imagine being there (Lunt Fields?)

Stu Bowie
02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi Mike, love the backlighting to the Owl, together with the golden lit enviroment. Have you tried a version by darkening the whole image to leave the Owl with just rim light. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
02-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Hi Mike your " arty " approach works for me as presented .
You really made the most out of the situation . I can also see a version that Stu was suggesting :5 , at least worth a try .

Lovely shot Mike !!!

TFS Andreas

Mike Poole
02-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Yes it works for me too Mike I like the shot, I can imagine being there (Lunt Fields?)

Thanks Jon, this one was over in Lincolnshire, a few days before we tried ant Neston. I was hoping to go to Lunt Meadows today as the forecast was good, but the little 'un was off school ill - nearly dragged him out anyway!

Mike

Mike Poole
02-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi Mike, love the backlighting to the Owl, together with the golden lit enviroment. Have you tried a version by darkening the whole image to leave the Owl with just rim light. :w3

Cheers Stu, had a little play as per your suggestion. WDYT? Possibly a little OTT, but I do quite like it

Mike

Stu Bowie
02-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Mike, you are going in the right direction, but as you will find, the darker you go, the yellows and reds get too intense, so you have to strike a balance. Here is what I had in mind - more a silhouette, but keeping some of the yellows through the grass and upper BG.

Mike Poole
02-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Cheers Stu, might take a look at the RAW and see what comes up - thanks for the idea.

Mike