PDA

View Full Version : Pink vetch fadeaway

Bob Smith
02-02-2016, 04:44 PM
159241<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/69faf8ae/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>I was looking for "small-in-the-frame" eagles when I stumbled upon this shot in a neglected folder. Interesting what you can do in passing with such a big tele. I'm glad I saved it. 5DIII;Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS;ISO 800;f/6.3;1/1250; The EXIF lists focal length as 560mm but it doesn't, mysteriously, show that I had my 1.4x tele. on.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/69faf8ae/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Jonathan Ashton
02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Colours and focus look pleasing, the composition leaves me searching wondering where to rest my eyes. I appreciate you wanted the OOF parts there, maybe it would look better with a pale green background as opposed to the buff colour, I think it is the contrast in the image that keeps me searching around.

Bob Smith
02-03-2016, 01:39 PM
ATTACH=CONFIG]159282[/ATTACH]<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/a103ed21/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>An inspired and much appreciated suggestion Jonathan, one that I will explore with other images as well. I certainly like the result here. It is a busy image but it is just that "business" that creates the appeal for me. The RP was done by moving the "pink/green" slider in WB just far enough towards the green side to introduce that colour---going too much farther started to overwhelm the more distant green tendrils.
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/a103ed21/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/a103ed21/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Jonathan Ashton
02-04-2016, 04:44 AM
To my eye that is better, the background is busy but not so intrusive and it looks as if it should be there if you get my drift,

Bob Smith
02-04-2016, 04:34 PM
When I 1st created the green version yesterday I thought I agreed with you Jonathan but now that I compare them again I'm not so sure . Each has it's merits and I think, for me at least, which gets 1st billing depends on one's mood of the moment and will vary from day to day, or even perhaps moment to moment. Maybe the fact that I know the background to be a wide river that is often shrouded in mist or seen at dusk affects my perception of and feel for the 1st edition.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c2a12654/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Diane Miller
02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Nice image!! I love shooting flower portraits with a telephoto lens.

Good idea from Jonathan. But by changing the color temp in LR you dulled down some of the color in the flowers. I brought it into PS and did a luminosity mask (probably a third "degree" one, and bumped contrast on it in addition) to select just the lightest parts, and used Curves to increase greens. Then brushed a quick mask on a top layer and did a contrast increase and lightening with another Curves, to bring out the flowers in the center.

Is this vetch, or sweetpea? (Or is sweetpea a kind of vetch?? They are similar.)

Bob Smith
02-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Not sure exactly of the right naming Dianne. When I google sweet pea and vetch images I get, on both searches, images that bear a good similarity. This grows wild and the flower is smaller and tighter than the sweet pea I've grown in my garden. There is another pink vine flower that grows amongst this one that does surely appear to be a vetch and I'll start a post for that one. I'm going to take the plunge and try and follow your PS approach myself. Thanks so much to you and Jonathan for opening up the possibilities of this image to me.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c2a12654/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>