PDA

View Full Version : Theme Feeding Frenzy !

haseeb badar
02-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone !

They are some creatures these African Buffaloes , Full of attitude and heavily built ! Just loved watching them , either as an individual or in the herd . This guy was having a great time , feeding on the green marshy lands of Amboseli and in turn excavating insects for the egrets .

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm f4 IS II with 1.4 x T.C. , bean bag.

ss 1/3200 f/7.1 iso 1000.

DPP 4 CS6 levels , selective colour , shadow/ highlights, burning ( egrets ) ,70 % of FF ,Sharpening.

All your C&C's are most welcome !

keith mitchell
02-02-2016, 08:05 AM
A real muddy wallow Haseeb ,thought when I first looked that it needed rotation but think it maybe down to the angle of the ground, all the bits of mud and dirt thrown up from it's shaking adds extra interest as do the white birds, magnificent animal but looking at those horns not one to tangle with.

Keith.

Mike Poole
02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Interesting shot Habeeb, lots of different elements to look at with the birds and insects as well as the big fella. The look up from the Buff rounds things off nicely.

Mike

Steve Kaluski
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Hi Haseeb, nice to see a Buff, especially with the Egrets, the plague of flies is a nice touch to the scene and I wise move to have some distance between you and them. Was this a solo, old bull, or was the herd close by?

Based on the techs, I would like to have been a bit closer to avoid more cropping, as I feel a tighter crop would be better. In addition, you could have dropped your ISO here, 1/3200 is a bit high for a static beast like this I feel. I might up the WB just to bring some warmth back in, it looks cool to me. If you can, I would also 'brush in', some of the green along the top edge on the LHS for continuity.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
02-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Hi Haseeb - I added the theme prefix as this qualifies for March's Theme. It's a nice scene and the egrets definitely add to it. I also think it needs a bit of rotation. Steve has given you good advice for in the field.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
02-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Hi Haseeb this seems to be a big fella this buff .
I very much like the inclusion of at least two species :bg3:.
Like the wider view and the timing of capture with the buff shaking his head i guess cause of all flies up in the air .
Nice details in the buff i think , but you might be more careful with the S/H .... as it seems to be a bit overdone for me.
Another feeling of mine is that you might have blown the egrets ? As the front one does look grayish/ recovered ?
How about a bit more warmer overall look & feel ..... ?

TFS Andreas

haseeb badar
02-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Thank you everyone .

@ Steve -- getting any closer was not an option as the place we were standing was a dead end , i too wished a closer approach but that was it , so i had to crop . I could have opted for a 2x T.C. .

Based on everyones suggestions here is a RP , WDYT ?

Anette Mossbacher
02-04-2016, 02:20 AM
Hi Hasseb,

i see see in your repost you did the rotation. This is a good looking chap. I think with the rotation you solved quite a few things I wanted to say. I personally would not crop any closer or would have gone closer. This image shows how it is there and the surroundings, all in one :w3

Have a great day

ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
02-04-2016, 04:51 AM
Late to this one - but good repost there Haseeb.
I've seen many photos of these marshes, makes me want to go there.
LOTS of flies eh?