PDA

View Full Version : Hippo shot at extreamly high ISO......for me anyway

Neil Williams
02-01-2016, 07:06 AM
I shot this picture while visiting Tanzania, it was shot at fairly high ISO and from a long way off and I am very happy with the detail I got from this image
ISO2500
f8
1/1000
1000mm Nikon 600 f4 with a 1.7 TC
Nikon D810

Jess M. McKenzie
02-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Excellent! Didn't know this was possible for ISO 2500. Hope it works on the D7100.
Thanks...

haseeb badar
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Hi Neil -- A yawning hippo is always a wonderful sight ! I am not sure whether the D810 is a FF or not but if it is then you could have opted for more iso as a big tele lens with a t.c. requires a better ss but still u did well . I see a lot of pinkish tones on the hippo and also it looks a bit high on contrast .Also some noise is visible in the FG.

lets see what others have to say .

TFS !

Jess M. McKenzie
02-01-2016, 08:23 PM
I had no trouble reducing the red with Viveza and I'm sure there are other equally effective -- pure PS -- methods for that. Certainly the FG is OOF. Given that, any noise is pretty hard to see on my monitor.
All that aside, this shot was ISO 2500 and taken at great range. I'm still impressed. I doubt I could capture that image, even with an 810.
Well done, Neil!

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2016, 03:27 AM
I too think this is a bit too magenta (easy fix using eye dropper tool or "colour balance" in PS).
Nice typical pose and you can push that D810 to ISO6400 easily, as long as you expose-to-the-right.
I'd like to see the unprocessed uncropped file and perhaps see what I can do with it? I don't think you got the most out of this processing-wise Neil.

shane shacaluga
02-02-2016, 05:49 AM
I am with Morkel on this one! How much of a crop was this as ISO 2500 should look a lot better on that camera body

Unless its 25000

Steve Kaluski
02-02-2016, 05:53 AM
I am very happy with the detail I got from this image ISO2500

Neil, the file isn't sharp more blurred/soft, lacks detail, form & depth, colour looks off, but that could be down to the file management, but again, the image does not have the correct embedded colour profile still and so will not be displayed correctly.

Neil Williams
02-02-2016, 06:03 AM
Neil, the file isn't sharp more blurred/soft, lacks detail, form & depth, colour looks off, but that could be down to the file management, but again, the image does not have the correct embedded colour profile still and so will not be displayed correctly.That's subjective
I like it the way it is..............the color profile is whatever PS cc or Lightroom cc give me, I have never changed those color profiles and google also tells you not to change them.

This is a ~200% crop shot at 1000mm...........it took me all the time to see the hippo let along shoot it.
Like I said I like it and happy with the results
Thanks for the feedback

Neil Williams
02-02-2016, 06:04 AM
I too think this is a bit too magenta (easy fix using eye dropper tool or "colour balance" in PS).
Nice typical pose and you can push that D810 to ISO6400 easily, as long as you expose-to-the-right.
I'd like to see the unprocessed uncropped file and perhaps see what I can do with it? I don't think you got the most out of this processing-wise Neil.
Mate its a ~200% crop

Neil Williams
02-02-2016, 06:06 AM
I had no trouble reducing the red with Viveza and I'm sure there are other equally effective -- pure PS -- methods for that. Certainly the FG is OOF. Given that, any noise is pretty hard to see on my monitor.
All that aside, this shot was ISO 2500 and taken at great range. I'm still impressed. I doubt I could capture that image, even with an 810.
Well done, Neil!
Thanks mate

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Mate its a ~200% crop

Even so...there might be great composition in the bigger file (I like to include a lot of environment as a rule). Would like to see the full res unprocessed file - could you post it here? I'd also like to show you what can be done with slight tweaks in colour.

On the colour space - it's all about how you want your photos to be viewed. Many internet browsers and mobile devices don't support multi-gamut colour profiles so the best way to ensure everyone viewing your file views it the same way is to go and convert it to sRGB before posting on the web. Plenty of articles should support this view on the interwebs. Use it, don't use it, but we've all gone through this process of dealing with these little niggles of processing :w3

Neil Williams
02-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Even so...there might be great composition in the bigger file (I like to include a lot of environment as a rule). Would like to see the full res unprocessed file - could you post it here? I'd also like to show you what can be done with slight tweaks in colour.

On the colour space - it's all about how you want your photos to be viewed. Many internet browsers and mobile devices don't support multi-gamut colour profiles so the best way to ensure everyone viewing your file views it the same way is to go and convert it to sRGB before posting on the web. Plenty of articles should support this view on the interwebs. Use it, don't use it, but we've all gone through this process of dealing with these little niggles of processing :w3

Here you go mate

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks Neil.
I was hoping for it at 1200px so I can crop some, but this will suffice.
Notice the more natural colour on the hippo (as it reflects on your unprocessed file as well).

Take note you ALWAYS need to sharpen your subject after downsizing as it induces softness. Not sure you did this with the origina post?

What do you think?