PDA

View Full Version : Winter Landscape.

David Cowling
02-01-2016, 06:21 AM
It seems to have gone very quiet on this forum just lately. This image was taken in the Staffordshire Mooreland region of the Peak District UK. The rock in the foreground is the quaintly named Loaf and Cheese. The hill in the middle distance right is the quriously named Hen Cloud which is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Henge Clud meaning Steep Cliff. (It is very steep on the far side and is a favored spot for rock climbers)

Panasonic DMC LX 100. Lens at 24mm

1/50 sec @ f11. ISO 200

David Stephens
02-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Wonderful scene. I'd crop just above that random grass at the bottom edge. I'd lighten the valley between the hen and the cheese to pull the eye that way and put a little more contrast in the clouds. I'd also raise the shadows on the Loaf and Cheese a bit.

Don Lacy
02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Hi David, A wonderful scene here and I think the image could be successful if you lighten the rock called loaf and cheese and just made it a little brighter then the rest of the image. Right now there is no natural resting point for my eye to settle on and as such the image feels chaotic, By lightening the area you give your viewers eye a bright area to settle on and anchors the whole image.

David Cowling
02-01-2016, 04:00 PM
David and Don. Thanks for the input and suggestions. I have taken advice from both in the re-post, however I feel I am moving away from what I saw at the time of capture.

Diane Miller
02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
A very interesting scene. I often have the feeling that we can improve on what we saw. Good rationale given above for doing that here. You may have been struck by the dark and forbidding shape of the rock, but what we see doesn't always come across in a picture.

There is a lot going on in the middle ground. I wonder if it would have been possible to get lower and to your left so the right shoulder of the Loaf and Cheese was hiding some of it and the eye went more directly to the Hen Cloud. That might hide the road, but would be a problem with the FG weeds.

Don Railton
02-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi David

I think the loaf and cheese rock is a little too dominant, for me anyway. It occupies too much of the image space...Lightening will lessen that effect but i think the real fix is to reshoot it standing futher away from the Loaf and cheese rocks, so they are smaller in the frame.. i think this will "balance" the image better and let the eye wander more..

DON

David Stephens
02-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Well, the crop is better, but lightening the loaf and cheese put more attention on it, too much really. I'm lost on this one.

David and Don. Thanks for the input and suggestions. I have taken advice from both in the re-post, however I feel I am moving away from what I saw at the time of capture.