PDA

View Full Version : Blue Banded Bee

Ray Walker
01-30-2016, 06:49 AM
During the day these fellas are so quick, I can't get a pic, so at night I find them asleep on a grass stem. I locate them using a 5 watt red LED torch.
f/10,iso 400, s/s1/200, manual mode, flash, diffuser.Canon 450D, 105 macro lens.

Glennie Passier
01-31-2016, 01:46 AM
You've done well to catch this little guy. It must be a boy, because he is hanging on for dear life on a grass stem, while the girls are asleep in their little tunnels. It's a pity you can't see the lovely blue bands on his bottom.

Jonathan Ashton
01-31-2016, 04:14 PM
Well Ray, spotted good field craft, I think two things to consider if you go out again, firstly don't go quite so close and the DOF will increase, secondly reduce the flash just a bit, are you using TTL flash if so what setting?

Ray Walker
02-01-2016, 05:00 AM
Thanks..

, secondly reduce the flash just a bit, are you using TTL flash if so what setting?
Hi Johnathan. I think it was on 0, but it is now set on minus two thirds..

Jonathan Ashton
02-01-2016, 06:01 AM
Thanks..

Hi Johnathan. I think it was on 0, but it is now set on minus two thirds..

yes that is a step in the right direction, on bright subjects like this I usually go to -1.66, the optimal value will depend on subject. The more you do the more you will become familiar with likely requirements and then you will probably end up using manual flash, that way you will know at a certain distance on bright subjects you will need say 1/32 power or whatever the size of the subject.

Ray Walker
02-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I must look into using manual flash. I haven't used it before, but have read about lots of people using it , particularly for macro work ( which I am new at)

Diane Miller
02-01-2016, 07:19 PM
A quick way I judge flash exposure (for ETTL but camera in M mode) is to do a shot without it, but at the same SS, to see how much ambient exposure I have. If that image is very underexposed, the flash will be your main light and dialing it down will only give you an underexposed image. Finding a good balance with some ambient light (or a second flash) is key. Getting it off-camera to give some shading is also good.

Ray Walker
02-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Thanks Diane. I use my camera in M mode. I also have a small LED torch mounted on the side on my lens to supply light. The reckon the idea works well.

David Cowling
02-03-2016, 04:49 AM
Interesting looking bee captured in a good pose. Good advice given re flash above. The only nit I have is that the bee doesn't seem quite sharp enough, particularly the eye. Good field craft used to find this subject.

Ray Walker
02-04-2016, 07:46 AM
I am not sure who got "Thanked ", but it was supposed to be for you David..:S3: