PDA

View Full Version : Tusking Around !

haseeb badar
01-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Hello everyone !

Another image from Amboseli . A calf was having a fun time with its Mother's distorted Tusk , was trying to pull the Tusk with its trunk , turned out to be an impossible task for the Calf . Light was harsh , so decided to go for BW . It is very tight at bottom and from the top as well but a fixed lens problem it turned out to be . Could have opted for going vertical while shooting , but everything happened a bit suddenly .

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm IS II , bean bag, ss 1/2500 , f/8 , iso 1000 .

DPP4 ,CS5 , levels,burning ( some bright parts in the BG ) and cropped from the LHS to eliminate a sub adult Ele as it had its back turned towards us .

All your C&C's are most welcome .

HASEEB.

Steve Kaluski
01-30-2016, 02:37 AM
Hi Haseeb, in this instance, crop 3x2 vertical working from the top LHC down, looks much better IMHO and there isn't so much of the adult. Techs look good and I really like the interaction here. The harsh light has created some strong contrast and deep shadows, but I think you did well given the circumstances. The blacks look clipped in the histogram emphasising things even more, you may like to look at that in the RAW. Reducing the tusk a fraction more if you can, not much, but I think it will help. If you opened up the calfs eye, then I would pull it back, looks a bit odd I think, but could be wrong, might just be the light. Good call on going B/W.

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
01-30-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi Steve -- Thanks for the input . Working on that tusk was on my agenda , but i forgot while processing , thanks for bringing that to my notice . And that eye is at is , i haven't done anything to it , might be some membrane in that eye or glitter from the sun , but it is untouched .

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi Haseeb - Fun interaction but agree with your self-critique of a bit tight above and below. As you said, going vertical in the field might have been a better choice but it happens to all of us. Steve has covered the major issues. I immediately thought the calf's eye looked weird but could just be the light and that the tusk was a bit bright. Seems with the harsh light, converting was good. I agree with Steve about the blacks. I think with the tightness issues, going even tighter with a crop might be a good alternative.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Hi Haseeb a very sweet interaction / behavior shot . Lovely pose of the youngster .
I also do agree about being a bit tight ... but not changeable in post , you might try a 4x5 vertical to concentrate on the action .
It might have been a good idea for going B/W , but i think it is overall a bit too contrasty for my taste , and i think the sharpening is on the border of adding some crunch .

But lovely capture of the two

TFS Andreas

Mark Needham
01-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Hi Haseeb -- Fantastic interaction captured here - I love the youngster's tiny trunk wrapped around the adult's tusk. Nice job on the conversion. I agree with your self-critique that it is tight on the top and bottom, and vertical would have likely worked better. I agree with Steve about toning down the tusk a tad. I would also do some "eye doctor" work on the little one's eye to get rid of that bright spot. TFS!

keith mitchell
01-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Haseeb the technical bits have been well covered especially that eye , its lovely interaction shot such gentleness from such a massive animal must have been great to witness.

Keith.

haseeb badar
02-01-2016, 04:04 AM
Thank you everyone ! Will do the necessary corrections and also try the crop ideas , Will do a RP !

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2016, 01:07 PM
A cute moment, and the light at this time of day is always a challenge.
I agree with the crop suggestion by Steve.
Perhaps post the colour version so we can play with it?

haseeb badar
02-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Here is an RP !

haseeb badar
02-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Here is a color version Morkel !