PDA

View Full Version : Robin Red Breast

Craig Schriever
01-29-2016, 08:23 PM
A new owner of a 7D II. Just getting used to this new Camera and all the new ways (to me) that you can adjust and customize it. Its gonna take me awhile but I'll have fun along the way. The very OOF tree in the BG kinda ruins it for me.

7D II
TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC
f/6.3
SS 1/2000
ISO 640
@600mm

Glennie Passier
01-30-2016, 03:58 AM
Hello Craig. I'm not much use to you on the technical stuff, so I'll let somebody who knows what they're talking about to give the feed back. Although techs look good to me. I like this image. Nice colours, interesting perch and great little bird. I agree the OOF tree doesn't do the image any favours, but to me, it's no big deal. After seeing Keith's post of the Snipe, I'm now looking at your image with the brightness above the leg. Is this a crop? I would like to see a bit more room above his head.

Enjoy the new camera. I've heard it's good!

Hope to see some more soon!

keith mitchell
01-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Craig there is a lot to like but I do agree about the OOF tree, I often get so carried away with getting the shot that I don't realize until later that I could have saved myself a lot of work after, this is in a perfect world of course. Nice detail on the bird which might have shown better at a different angle but it would be lovely if everything was just as we would like it.Think you have done very well catching the bird with a beak full of berries and looks like your camera produces some excellent results.

Keith.

Diane Miller
01-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Hi Craig, and congrats on the 7D2 -- I love mine! Very nice catch of the robin with a berry in its mouth! And a very interesting perch.

It feels a little crowded to and bottom. If there is no more on the bottom (or it's just not pretty) I'd clone out the small twig that is almost touching the frame edge.

The darks are a little heavy -- you don't give your processing, which is as important as the shooting specs these days. But it should be easy to just back off Shadows a bit if you're using LR or ACR.

The tree might be dealt with by changing its color a little to minimize it.

Craig Schriever
01-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Very much appreciated. Seems the consensus is to tight a crop. Looking at it I agree. Not too much room to work with but there is some. I will do a repost and try and give it a little more room and see if I can deal with that OOF tree in the BG. Again thanks very much! :)

Craig Schriever
01-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Ok did a little work and tried to get rid of the OFF tree. Not too sure if its good enough but maybe better? Also gave it some more room top and bottom. Tried to remove the hot spot above the leg. Again thanks for all the comments and suggestions. :)

Diane Miller
01-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Nice work on the tree!! Hard to decide where to crop a busy BG. Here's another take, with some edge cleanup. Clean edges can add a lot to an image, keeping attention on the subject -- although this lovely robin commands attention on its own.

keith mitchell
01-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Craig I think the reposts done by yourself and Diane are a big improvement.

Keith.

Craig Schriever
01-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks Diane and Kieth. I like the clean edges! It does improve the image. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Glennie Passier
01-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Craig, the reposts by yourself and Diane are great, but I particularly like Diane's last one. Cleaning up the edges has made a great difference...and getting rid of the OOF tree. As Keith has said, all these things are hard to see until you get them home. But we all start to learn and look. But in the end I would rather take the shot than not.