PDA

View Full Version : Theme Done in by Dunlin

adrian dancy
01-26-2016, 08:16 AM
In February 2012 we had a very cold spell with snow and ice on the ground. One of the local reservoirs was for the most part frozen over. We had two dunlins and a grey plover stay over for a few days trying to survive on a spit of land and very little opportunity for nourishment. I visited a nearby angling shop and got some maggots to feed the birds. On my last visited I took shrimp (but no camera gear) but sadly the grey plover had died of an injury to the face. I went home shivering on the day I made this image but the experience was worth it and I will never forget it.

Given the light and shutter speed I was not able to use smaller apertures so critical focus was the order of the day.
Canon 7D
Sigma 500 f4.5 EX
ISO1000
f6.3
1/320 Sec

Processed with Elements 2. Small crop. Distracting twig cloned out. There is a little blowout on some of the OOF snow but that does not concern me, it does not present an issue with the printed version.

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Like the low POV here Adrian, but as you have done some manipulation, then I would remove the FG rock for a cleaner, more 'minimal' look.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
01-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Beautiful image, nice pose and details, Adrian.
Good but sad story.
We had six species of Warblers and a beautiful Painted Bunting in the area last winter and unfortunately all died when the temperature dipped below -20 degrees Celsius for more than a week.

Jim Crosswell
01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
I like the pose, details and composition. I too would remove the OOF bit. Nice image and story Adrian.

Bob Smith
01-26-2016, 01:12 PM
A lovely image Dancy---you've got nice crisp focus on the feather detail, great colour coordination bird to background with its creamy bokeh and I like the little touch of the ice patch it stands on.
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/94394167/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Ross Taylor
01-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Adrian, Lovely image! Here's another vote to clone out the foreground dark area. You may also consider to lower the bird in the crop ever so slightly (about 1/3 head diameter) ... then see if you like the result.
Head angle seems a little turned away, ideal would give the impression the bird was making eye contact directly at you.

TFS-Ross

christopher galeski
01-27-2016, 02:17 AM
Nice capture,like the light,some nice detail in the feathers.and a change to see one on snow,I would remove the out of focus bit.TFS.

Frank Schauf
01-27-2016, 05:05 AM
Great pose and setting you have here, Adrian.