PDA

View Full Version : Theme.Harvest Mouse and Cherries.

keith mitchell
01-26-2016, 03:43 AM
Nikon D7000
Sigma lens
1/250@f8
iso 640.
This is one from my escaped mice I think with winter coming they have moved underground as I don't see much of them but do keep a good supply of food. My breeding scheme is going very well so hope to have a controlled release program on some surveyed sites which should fit the bill. Of course the release has to take into account the ethical side of things so that you increase their chances of survival depending on lack of preditors and also a good natural food supply to go with the food I will supply on and after release(tennis ball feeders). I have access to a lot of set aside margins on the very arable and intensive farming around my part of the world, these margins are a great help to wildlife .Would love to get back to my boyhood days I well remember after all this time finding my first little weaved nest of these mice in some long unkempt grasses, you would have to look very hard to find one now,but you never know if our consevation work pays off things might change,anyway nothing ventured nothing gained,and i,m up for anything that improves things for our wildlife and habitat.

keith mitchell
01-26-2016, 03:58 AM
Thought I should explain my (tennis ball feeders) I get them feeding and also make nests in them in my breeding program then we put them out I do find this works very well with my garden escapees. If posting this is wrong would the Mods be kind enough tp remove it.Hope this is of interest.

Jonathan Ashton
01-26-2016, 06:44 AM
I like the shot and an interesting narrative - and good luck with your programme, it sounds good to me.
Returning to the image I always find little small like this (including frogs and toads) a little awkward in terms of getting the subject reasonably large in the frame and also getting decent DOF. Personally I would have liked just a little more DOF so the back was also sharp. I think if the magnification was a little less the DOF would have been that bit greater and you would also have got that cherry in also.
A minor point - I would remove the stalk just behind the left ear. Sounds a bit critical but it is a very good image.

Rachel Hollander
01-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Hi Keith - thanks for the explanation about your breeding and release program. I am ok with the second image because it is for educational purposes. You really are nailing these images now so the critiques will get to be a bit more picky. Here, I find myself wanting the bottom of the lowest cherry included in the frame. Also the green of the bg is a bit bright and drawing my eye away from the subject. If it were mine, I would darken the greens. Yes, the stem behind the ear is a bit distracting.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Hi Keith, agree with Jon, like the shot and the narrative, provides a good insight into the background & history and what you have been doing.

Obviously this has been cropped, but if you can, then I would suggest moving it more left and up, so it's not clipping the bottom fruit. Also, if this was shot now you could have easily had a better SS, but all looks good. Like the sheen on the fruit, provides a nice 3D effect.

The stalk by the ear is annoying and could be problematic in removing it, so I would just remove a tad and leave the rest. The other two stalks could go and very easy to do, think it looks better, likewise a drop in the green to a more 'softer' colour, but your call.

Overall a pleasing image to view, and I think the colour and sharpening are on the right track personally.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
01-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys going away for a day or so but will respond properly tomorrow.

Cheers Keith.

Morkel Erasmus
01-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Such a pleasing image!
I agree with the comments above and like Steve's repost.

Gabriela Plesea
01-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Hello Keith,
I think you nailed this big time, I am so pleased for you and maybe a tad jealous:cheers:

I like may things about this, here's but a few:

-placement of subject in the frame is superb and the composition works well, very harmonious and pleasing to the eye, nice control of the scene my friend

-nice clean BG, lovely colours overall and those cherries add so much interest to the frame (did the mouse eat those missing cherries?)

-sharpness spot-on, good detail where needed (mouse, cherries)

-perfect HA from the subject and lovely pose

Crits? Not many, LOL. Try up the ISO a little more next time, and would have liked that cherry on the bottom of the image to be in. Other than that, I think Congratulations are in order :cheers:

Warmest regards,

haseeb badar
01-27-2016, 02:44 AM
Hi Keith -- very cute image and you have got a great image . i agree with rachel's critique and certainly Steve's RP looks much improved version . TFS !!

keith mitchell
01-27-2016, 04:57 AM
Thanks to you all, think Steve's repost covers the nits, did consider trying to remove the bit behind the ear but then though would leave it alone.
Keith.

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2016, 05:05 AM
did consider trying to remove the bit behind the ear but then though would leave it alone

The more tricky one, so good call in leaving it, lets see more!!! :S3:

If you want to know more on how to remove things just ask, but we may need to get you upgraded in PS first. The only reason being is, you know what to do & how to do it, it's just better now.

Andreas Liedmann
01-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Hi Keith you seem to come closer to ...... a " better " editing technique :5
Love the overall image, very cute this little mouse in comparison to the oh so big cherries .
I like the overall comp and the tones , just think the greens are a bit intense , Steve has covered this and some smaller other things in his RP . I quite like the RP improvement .

Very nice work you create with your little friends .

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
01-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Hi Keith,

I had to stop by at this little chap. Looks so great with the cherries.

All said already above.

Just love these little creatures. But not in the house :w3

Have a great evening

Ciao Anette

keith mitchell
01-28-2016, 04:49 AM
Thanks Andreas I do keep trying.Anette must admit to being a big fan of these " But not in the house :w3" you ask my wife.:e3

Keith.