PDA

View Full Version : Purple Sandpiper

Grace Scalzo
01-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Here's another purple sandpiper for your opinions. Thanks. This might be the hardest species that I have ever photographed between their herky jerky movements, their cluttered habitat and their speed. Fun trying, though.

1/500, f 5.6, iso1600
Canon 1dx. 600f4 + 1.4tc + lowered rrs tripod

Loi Nguyen
01-26-2016, 01:26 AM
Hi Grace, don't know much about this species, but from the image I can see the challenge. I like the depth this image creates with the lower left rock and the bird in focus while the cliff fades gradually to the right and upper. Composition works for me, your techs are great as usual. Loi

keith mitchell
01-26-2016, 04:08 AM
It does look like a tricky place to work Grace, you have got a super setting with the water going over the birds feet, do like to see relaxed birds like the one you have got here ,very nice job Grace.

Keith.

christopher galeski
01-26-2016, 07:06 AM
very nice Grace,love the rock it is stood on pose and colors,some nice detail in its plumage.TFS

adrian dancy
01-26-2016, 07:10 AM
No nits with this one Grace. An altogether pleasing image.This species is one of my bogey birds. They are always gone before I arrive.

John Robinson
01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
My bogey bird too. very nice Grace. Stands out well despite the similar toned background.
John R

Grace Scalzo
01-26-2016, 08:09 AM
I looked at this image again this morning. While it was taken in the shade of the rocks, I felt that the original was too blue so I added some red and green. This seems better to me for the background while the colors of the bird seem true. I also refined the natural catchlight to clean it up a bit. While caused by reflection and natural, it made the eye look a bit out off. What do you think? Not that I can do anything about this as the image is full frame (plus a sliver added left side), I do wish that the bubbles in the lower right corner were complete. They would have been a nice element.

Karl Egressy
01-26-2016, 08:35 AM
One of the shorebirds still missing from my collection. Love the detail and composition.

Bill Dix
01-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Repost is an improvement on an already nice frame. They are indeed tricky. They race up the rocks at the last second to avoid an incoming wave, and then race back down into the receding water to glean whatever the wave brought in. That being the case, you did very nicely to get the head in sharp focus. I might wish for a little more DOF but given how close you were, and the available light, I'm guessing that wasn't possible.

Jim Crosswell
01-26-2016, 10:23 AM
I like the IQ, details, setting and composition. Repost looks better to me. I have been enjoying your series of this challenging bird. Very well done Grace!

David Salem
01-26-2016, 09:14 PM
I was going to mention the eye until I scrolled down and saw the RP. Looks great and I like the colors in the RP too. Well done Grace