PDA

View Full Version : Clwyedog Falls

David Cowling
01-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Photographed in the autumn in North Wales.

Sony A700. Sigma 10-20mm at 13mm. Tripod

3 secs @ f 16. ISO 100

David Stephens
01-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Lovely shot and scene. I love the trees, fence line and stonework at the top of the image.

I think you've put too much emphasis on the water, pulling us away from the truly interesting part of the image. I think cropping off the bottom of the image, right below the last step down, would give more balance and draw us up toward the fence.

David Cowling
01-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Hello Dave. Thanks for the comments. Yes, you are right about the crop, I thought the same myself after I had posted. You know what it's like though - Iv'e got a super duper wide angle lens and I'm going to use every last bit of it!

Adhika Lie
01-25-2016, 04:36 PM
I really like the color tone on this one. The lushness of that green is just sublime. I agree with the water being too strong of a component in the foreground not only in size but also in exposure. The highlight in the water movement pulled my eyes away from the beautiful background.

Don Railton
01-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi David

Do like this, its beautiful setting.. Agree with the crop off the bottom, although probably not quite as much as Dave suggests. I would also add a bit of selective NR on the water only and biased towards the LRC. The water their has a grainy look.

Don

David Stephens
01-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Hello Dave. Thanks for the comments. Yes, you are right about the crop, I thought the same myself after I had posted. You know what it's like though - Iv'e got a super duper wide angle lens and I'm going to use every last bit of it!

Understood. I've found that half the job in using my ultra-wide is to think of the crop as I'm shooting it. I'll use it to get really wide, but realize that it's taking in a lot of uninteresting sky and/or foreground, but I'm thinking to myself, "A 5:2 crop will really bring out all that great stuff in the middle and I'll have a one-shot panorama."

As I look at it again, I can't help but think that the lens distortion (there must have been some) was nicely handled.